COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Not that other euphemism favoured by middle managers, “challenges”?

1 Like

I didn’t know either. White, early 50’s male, raised Catholic but non-believer. MS in Operations. Director level working in pharmaceuticals. Anything else you need to know?

1 Like

You are either replying to the wrong post or didn’t check which post I was replying to.

1 Like

Challenge sounds too negative man.

Always knew there was a reason why I hated people who took lots of pictures.

I saw this poll referenced on CNN earlier and it was pretty shocking. 44% of republicans vs 4% of democrats would resume normal activities right now WAAF

This is a bad comment. While they may support mail-in voting, they only support it if the legislature passes a law allowing it. So in any state with R control (or split control) we’re not getting expanded voting rights.

Mail-in voting when there is a pandemic should be a right, not something the state government can deny you.

edit: Just wanted to re-iterate how pointless the comment that “All 9 Justices support mail-in voting” is.
Judges personal opinion on what a legislature should do doesn’t matter, all that matters is how they vote with respect to what that legislature can and can’t do. This would be the equivalent of a Justice saying they are pro-choice, but think states should have the right to ban abortion and Roe should be overturned.

What if we let white people vote by mail but not black people?

2 Likes

That will certainly get the red states on board.

Just a note. This article is horribly edited and the first topic, money, is dumb. But it does touch on several other potential road bumps to getting a vaccine.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/05/vaccine-timeline-coronavirus.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Or what if black in person votes count .5 and black by mail .25?

1 Like

This is the kind of reaching across the aisle bipartisanship that gets things done.

5 Likes

The holocaust museum in Israel is incredible as well. It’s the only place I can remember ever crying uncontrollably in public. Like it hit a point where I just started bawling. The D.C. museum brought up similar emotions, but quite as strong for some reason. If you’ve never been, it is definitely worth visiting one of them.

Allow mail in voting but only if the negro vote counts 3/5ths.

1 Like

It shouldn’t be surprising. Conservatives again and again show their true colors. They don’t GAF about anything other than their personal little bubble.

Museum of tolerance is also super powerful. They focus on the holocuast, had the bed bunks and did the card thing where at the beginning you get the card of one of a person who was there, and at the end what happened to them.

They also have a bunch of super powerful stuff on how african americans have been treated in the country.

Went in 7th grade and at first I was being a shitty bratty lil kid joking around outside being funny. After like the first exhibit or two I was silent for the rest of the trip and even as kid it fucked me up for awhile.

I wonder if they had these places in the south and they took school children there if things would change some. Obviously the local gov would never allow it.

How to celebrate nurses during a pandemic: hold an event that will cause thousands of people to gather in one place

My best friends birthday is today. He is invited several people to a park to celebrate. Had to tell him we weren’t coming. This summer is going to be hard, but still seems like a giant dick move to head out and be with people.

1 Like

The wife and I decided to go for a walk at the lake near our house last night. Yesterday was the first day fine in restaurants could be open here. There are a few restaurants around the lake and they were all packed with no signs of social distancing or reduction in tables. Here is the patio of one of them(we are all so very fucked):

This is how this will play out (if social distancing is still in place in Nov):

1. All state legislatures will have to pass absentee voting measures. Even Republicans will want to vote, and not all of them are at rallies at state capitals.
  2. If the constitutionality of these legislative efforts goes up, the Court will approve it 9-0.

The Wisconsin decision in no way changed the ability of the Court to undo legislation preserving the right for citizens to absentee vote when their state authorizes it.

Many people here (maybe most) think the Court would vote FIVE-FOUR if this came up to prevent absentee voting; that’s just dumb alarmism.