COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

How many upstate NYers we got? I’m in Cuse Jmac is is somewhere and smrk is somewhere else.

I didnt.

History has always been my worst subject and I have no particular interest in it (with regards to things like war documentaries, movies, etc.) Anything past the ancient Greeks I was just never all that interested in.

So while I’m pretty versed in high level shit, going much deeper into the details will leave me pretty out of the loop.

I’m 44 white male. Didn’t know what that sign meant either. It was vaguely familiar so I assumed it had to do with Nazi Germany. I also took 2 years of German in HS.

I’ll take the under on 20% of Americans knowing what language that is, let alone being able to translate any of the words or significance.

6 Likes

yea i knew work will set you free was on the sign above auschwitz gate but not what it is in german and i’m a big fan of history and WW2 history

I’ll play: 47 year-old Jew, great-grandparents on my father’s side were killed in the Holocaust, I know that the gates of Auschwitz said “work sets you free”, don’t know it in German.

Also, for someone to carry that sign…my lord.

Just looked at pictures of the gates, who or what is the JB she’s referring to?

1 Like

Maybe John Bel Edwards of Louisiana?

1 Like

Same here punctuated by brief periods of not being able to do exactly what I want all the time whenever I want, but at least getting sex out of the deal.

#LIVINGTHEDREAM

1 Like

Glad to hear you’ve got some options. I’m in the same boat with regard to getting used to online again. Haven’t logged major volume online since like 2008. That’s awesome that you can get by on $1,800 a month in SoCal, where are you?

Ah, yeah, that’s it… I don’t know why I was thinking that was hot springs.

1. Did not know the German but familiar with phrase and usage in camps. Pretty sure my wife’s grandfather saw the camps. He started in a tank in Normandy and ended up at the eagles nest. Photos look like a travelog and that’s how he described it to her. I had to break it to her that he probably personally killed hundreds if not more.

Did she try to say she was drawing a parallel at least - and not just spreading the good word that hard work will set you free?

Yeah this was always going to happen, and there will be immense pressure on other states to follow suit in about two weeks when it looks like everything is ok to people who don’t understand how this works.

It was in Illinois - isn’t the governor there JB Pritzker?

2 Likes

I was just running some state numbers. Most of the states that are opening strongly have flat or increasing case rates. Iowa still looks exponential. Not nearly as fast as other states but that’s probably population density based. But Iowa- no slowing no flattening. Sweden.

People are insane in this country.

Will try and make some readable charts next week.

3 Likes

By the way, if you think logically about the sign and the analogy, she’s asking to turn her state into a death camp so that she can be a part of it.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/trekonomics/status/1256363283600175104?s=21

Agree with cuse. Now to try to not have that dream where I’m immune and walking around with a vape full of Cv in the midst of the covidiots.

1 Like

Can we just pick one state for all the Branch Covidians to move to and frolic to their hearts’ content? Surround the state with tanks to keep them in place and let’s see what happens.

3 Likes

Shout out to Mississippi for holding the line.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1256398665096335367?s=19

9 Likes

Western NY checking in.

Here’s hoping for a weekend lull.

1 Like

By the way, 33 year old white male, American, college educated, poli sci minor, didn’t know the phrase in English or German.

1 Like