COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Proud of my old company making a contribution. Worked 20 years on making the monomer.

NatureWorks | NatureWorks partners with Nonwovens Institute to support production of 10 million N95 masks for healthcare workers fighting COVID-19

6 Likes

I sleep on my side, usually alternate sides throughout the night. Iā€™ll try this if I have trouble breathing, though. Thanksā€¦ So far itā€™s just a little painful, not difficult, if that makes sense.

Iā€™ve been debating it today, but Iā€™m still leaning against it. With my symptoms this mild, the odds are that I donā€™t have it and would be putting myself at risk of catching it by going to a testing site. Also, even if I do have it, I could increase the viral load if I exposed myself to more of itā€¦ and if I do have it, so far my immune system seems to be handling it reasonably well.

No carpet here, itā€™s all tile or hardwood. The baseboard in the bathroom would have gotten wet, it had to get through there between the tile and the baseboard to get down into the ceiling below I assume. We opened up the recessed lighting below and left it open to air out for a few hours after it happened - the maintenance guy said it was dry and fine, but they arenā€™t exactly the All-Star Team of maintenance.

How does one go about checking under the baseboard for mold? I canā€™t just be prying it off the wall, and in fact there are actually no visible nails or anything even. It appears to have been attached by caulking and then painted.

Thanksā€¦ I got some fresh air yesterday, but by the time I woke up today it was already looking kinda bad out. The wind is really whipping around over here. Iā€™ll pop out on the balcony for a couple minutes, though.

Thanksā€¦ Yeah, the incident itself definitely sucked. I was going to post about it because I thought the story might be kind of funny to read, but then I was like, ā€œEhh, not really in a mood to write about this right now.ā€

Hopefully a coincidence - Iā€™m about the same right now as I was yesterday. Hopefully it goes away, although I guess the day/night cycle is better than it getting worse.

1 Like

Just blow a fan an any areas that get wet for now. No carpet is a big plus. It never dries once it gets soaked.

If you keep having a problem and itā€™s not Covid then you probably should have someone official in and check for mold.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting worried that we are going to be on the plateau model with insane levels of daily cases and daily deaths.

I did adjust my plateau dates based on April so far. Basically we hit a peak and have been holding steady since mid April. This assumes we stay steady through May and then start to decline. Why would we decline? Hopes and Prayers at this point.

100,000. Itā€™s a beautiful number. Many said it would be over 2 million.

5 Likes
1 Like

Of course you have to have a public that complies with public safety measures to make sure restriction removal doesnā€™t lead to a flare up.

Clearly the US does not. The Czech Republic mostly does.

It seems like a very bad idea to apply academic science standards to a public health crisis. For the same reason we should be speculatively manufacturing vaccines that might not pan out, we shouldnā€™t pretend not to see that itā€™s very likely that remdesivir could save possibly hundreds of thousands of lives and invest a lot into scaling up production.

As far as I can tell, the ā€œplanā€ for ramping up remdesivir production is to do nothing and hope Gilead produces a lot, which is a scandal.

4 Likes

Yeah that definitely makes sense, thanks.

Need to emphasize this is with stay at home orders still in place.

1 Like

I wrote up a whole long diatribe about how it doesnā€™t matter how much we gnash our teeth, the restrictions are coming off sooner rather than later. Itā€™s true. America (and frankly most of the rest of the world) has collectively decided that they are willing to pay an toll in human life (perhaps their own) for increases in their perceived quality of life, benefits to the economy and the ability for fellow citizens to earn money and provide for their families.

This shouldnā€™t be a surprise - there simply could never be a different outcome without a full order of magnitude (probably 2) more deaths. People simply were never going to shelter-in-place in their homes until 2021 or 2022.

So, all we can do is protect ourselves as much as we feel is reasonable and hope that even the most fervently stupid doorknob lickers will subconsciously lick less knob after being inundated with nothing but disease prevention and precaution over the last couple months.

I personally feel that we wonā€™t necessarily revert to unchecked exponential growth, as I can think of no single event since World War 2 that has been more in the forefront of EVERYONEā€™s minds. That has to make a difference vis a vis the initial outbreak when things were almost totally unknown. At least I hope so.

5 Likes

Newsom currently shitting on Orange County and says heā€™s keeping their beaches shut down during his press conference hahaha ā€œtemporary pauseā€ on local beaches

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/CorralCarina/status/1255941691489390593

1 Like

good. You should see the comment threads from pages around here. Itā€™s surreal shit. If you didnt know any better youā€™d think that newsom was stalin and we were under complete martial law

1 Like

Tesla has had a big impact on batteries, but not as much in performance as in production. The Tesla batteries are Panasonic.

1 Like

NASCAR starts back May 17 without fans, which will be uninteresting

3 Likes

Lol, so i turned on the tv after seeing that post I replied to and basically there is no statewide beach closure, JUST OC.

Hahahaha. What a backfire. Iā€™m rolling, the blowback from this will be absolutely amazing

yeah thatā€™s amazing. theyā€™re going to burn cars.

In other news

So basically the same thing they have been doing for the last 5-10 years.

2 Likes