COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Yeah what a shame, all that money could have gone to something environmentally impactful and instead went to developing…uh…electric cars?

Ug, I’m not even a Musk fan, why am I doing this.

While being all of those things, he’s also developed a cult of personality around him. My former flatmate absolutely adores the guy. He can do no wrong in his mind.

Sure, he’s Trump for smartish people who think they’re really smart. Rather than dumb people who think they’re smart.

1 Like

And I don’t think that the much harder to study question of prophylactic use is addressed at all with this study. Hopefully there are trials on that as well in progress, I know there are trials like that in progress with hydroxychloroquine.

Ataturk had nothing to do with the Armenian Genocide. He was in power after, and even condemned it.

Maybe educate yourself before looking like a complete retard.

2 Likes
10 Likes

Too strong when a simple correction would have done. Also, a horrible use of the word retard. Maybe educate yourself in that regard.

4 Likes

I incorrectly thought he was there for the whole thing… but it sure looks like you’re as wrong as I was.

I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t learned about the Armenian genocide in depth. Which I’m fully OK with honestly. I know more than enough about more than enough awful episodes in human history without learning about one more.

No

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0031322X.2010.510719

He didn’t begin it but no question took actions to bring it to a bloody end. He also stopped the courts-martial that were punishing participants in the genocide and pardoned people serving the sentences they received as a result.

Normally wouldn’t get involved with this but your arrogance is pretty alarming. You don’t happen to be Turkish yourself or of Turkish descent, right? If not, I don’t understand your anger and sweeping denial.

1 Like
Elon Musk prepares for the Q1 earnings call from r/wallstreetbets

I’m sure you’re all going to enjoy this. (Fixed it’s worth the click… truly incredible)

3 Likes

For some reason, I am unable to play these videos whenever they’re posted. None of the buttons function.

Actually he has options that vest if he hits a six month market cap average. I think he was very close before this started.

I know he is being evil but he is also being stupid.

wrong

1 Like

Scientists have found evidence for mutations in some strains of the coronavirus that suggest the pathogen may be adapting to humans after spilling over from bats.

The analysis of more than 5,300 coronavirus genomes from 62 countries shows that while the virus is fairly stable, some have gained mutations, including two genetic changes that alter the critical “spike protein” the virus uses to infect human cells.

Researchers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine stress that it is unclear how the mutations affects the virus, but since the changes arose independently in different countries, they may help the virus spread more easily.

The spike mutations are rare at the moment but Martin Hibberd, professor of emerging infectious diseases and a senior author on the study – which has yet to be published in a jounral or peer reviewed – said their emergence highlights the need for global surveillance of the virus so that more worrying changes are picked up fast. Hibberd said:

This is exactly what we need to look out for. People are making vaccines and other therapies against this spike protein because it seems a very good target. We need to keep an eye on it and make sure that any mutations don’t invalidate any of these approaches.”

Studies of the virus revealed early on that the shape of its spike protein allowed it to bind to human cells more efficiently than Sars, a related virus that sparked an outbreak in 2002. The difference may have helped the latest coronavirus infect more people and spread rapidly around the world.

Scientists will be concerned if more extensive mutations in the spike protein arise, not only because they may alter how the virus behaves. The spike protein is the main target of leading vaccines around the world, and if it changes too much those vaccines may no longer work. Other potential therapies, such as synthetic antibodies that home in on the spike protein, could be less effective, too.

Emphases are mine.

I just gotta keep myself ignorant of some of this shit. I just have to do what I can and let science take its course. Overreacting to one study isn’t going to do me any good.

Look on the bright side - the planet is in urgent need of a few billion fewer homo sapiens.

Joking - a 0.5% population reduction is nowhere near enough to make a difference

Holy fuck thx for sharing this. Had me in tears. Last time I laughed that hard was watching the Hound and Arya going out for chickens.

2 Likes

Tomorrow is the start of 5 days off work in China, to celebrate International Labour Day.

This could be, erm, interesting.

Glad we’re all on board with the wallstreetbets memes.

1 Like

Czech Republic keeps looking good. Despite the release in restrictions, the basic reproduction number is still dropping. The number of patients hospitalized is the lowest it’s been since the 1st of April and over 40% of patients infected have been healed.

Epidemiologists here are predicting that future outbreaks will be inevitable but so long as the government is prepared and people respond accordingly, they will remain regional.

1 Like