COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

No one stans for Musk’s twitter game…

People are going to be sacrificed so that Musk can send more rockets into space.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/928675794372608001

2 Likes

Governor High Pitch Ron cookin the books

At my old firm we had a client like this. He had some neurological condition where his nerves were very sensitive or something. Said if he wears clothes it feels like his skin is on fire.

It was pretty jarring having some guy just stroll into the office wearing tighty whities the first time I met him.

4 Likes

He’s reverentially quoting the first guy to carry out a truly modern genocide now. Gotta say I’ve really never liked or trusted Elon. I’ll be the first to admit a lot of what he’s done is impressive, but I just can’t get past the feeling that there’s something wrong there.

You should go ahead and get a Covid test.

Since you had some out of control water issues, check very carefully for mold (wear a good mask). Subfloor, baseboard, any carpet get wet? My wife has asthma and is incredible at mold detection in a bad way (chest gets tight). We’ve moved hotel rooms when all I can find is one little splotch in the shower caulk. We had one trip where we stayed in small towns with older motels and took our own mold cleaner with us.

Be well. Fresh air before it starts to rain here today.

3 Likes

Comparing Newsome’s projections for hospital occupancy vs what actually happened seems fair. Particularly because “if we don’t lock down we will overwhelm the hospitals” was the main rationale for the lockdowns.

If we don’t lock down we will overwhelm the hospitals was primarily used because half the country would never go for we need to lock down to protect the elderly, poor and vulnerable. Not to mention there was so much unknown at that point. Which is why we are seeing what we are seeing now with morons like Musk shouting from the top of his pile of money to go back to normal.

While we did not hit worse case projections it seems likely with no lockdown we have a much worse outcome here. And our outcome here was plenty bad with basically 60,000 dead in just the last month. It’s easy to forget we didn’t even hit 1,000 dead until March 25th.

1 Like

Musk did fuck all except get lucky investing in PayPal. He laundered government contracts for space tech instead of the govt simply funding nasa because that wasn’t ideologically sound. Gotta be a private sector company doing all the work even though its govt money and they just hired the same nasa people it would have been anyway.

However not content with simply skimming from subsidy and grant money Musk had the temerity to use spacex to prop up his other failing businesses (with our tax money). He’s pure scum who has contributed zero to society. And he’s a fucking smug contemptuous asshole on top of it.

12 Likes

So “if we don’t lock down we will overwhelm the hospitals” was a lie that Newsome and other governors knowingly spread? Dunno man that seems troublesome as well.

No. It was part of the rationale. The only part the mentally and morally challenged part of the country would accept. Even Trump’s own plan was called “Stop the Spread”. Overwhelming the hospitals was a symptom we were trying to avoid and largely did, not the primary problem.

Yeah that’s one of the reasonable takes. I find reading about him pretty insufferable so I avoid doing any research on the details. I suspect there’s at least a little bit more to it, but that does seem to be the gist.

Yes, when you properly fund smart nasa people you can do a lot. You think Musk had thing one to do with that other than siphoning money away from it to bail out solar city?

Seems like that rocket should be blasting a mile wide crater in the earth at that speed.

2 Likes

This is a pretty strained of the study. The study strongly suggests that remdesivir significantly reduces mortality from coronavirus. I mean, WTF do you want the drug to do?

It’s easy to say “further study required,” etc., but it’s not really needed. We should be throwing a lot of resources into scaling up production of remdesivir yesterday. Worst case scenario, we “only” cut the burden on the hospital system and doctors and nurses by 30%. Plausible better scenario, we save tens of thousands of lives.

1 Like

yeah man he founded the company as far as I can tell

Like imagine if instead of all the money wasted so that Musk could build a fast toy car for rich people we just gave it all to @microbet and said install as many solar panels as you can plz. The US would be totally energy independent and 100% renewable by now.

5 Likes

We have two studies. They agree that there is no statistically significant impact on mortality. They disagree on whether or not it is effective at reducing hospital stays. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that but it seems obvious to me that the difference in the result is like the severity of illness of the patients studied. The China one studied much sicker patients than the NIAID one.

Should it be used? Of course. But as you mention the next problem is you cant just instantly create millions of doses. Gilead’s goal is to be able to produce 500,000 by October.