COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

I don’t think the states doing hospitalizations are using only test results. It doesn’t seem to jump around like cases.

They’re probably including presumptive positives - basically anyone being treated as if they have covid - which is what would matter to them to determine capacity.

I’m in Essex County, MA (just north of Boston) and one of my good friends with symptoms (Fever, cough) for 7+ days was told by her doctor on Saturday she could not get a test unless she knew someone that had tested positive or had recently travelled (wtf?) to whatever country. They told her to call back if she had trouble breathing.

But they did pee themselves while having a heart attack and getting attacked by MRSA.

Ok, How about Stfu feckless

1 Like

It is a conundrum. If you are in New York right now and get sick at what point do you go to the hospital without an actual positive test? Do you want to have something much milder and go to the hospital and potentially get more sick while being in miserable conditions?

There is nothing about any of this that really makes people want to rush to the hospital when they think they might have it.

2 Likes

That is pretty much what asthma is.

Yup which is yet another reason why Team Peak is a little premature here I think.

2 Likes

In NSW and QLD the most popular sport is rugby league. For reasons I don’t fully understand, NRL games get really small crowds, everyone just watches the game on TV. That makes it a good candidate for something the NRL are pompously calling “Project Apollo”:

The idea is to create a “bubble” in which players live - possibly booking out a resort or something like that - within striking distance of several stadiums, at which games can be played without crowds. The players from all teams would be kept separate from the outside world. The NRL was suspended after the first two rounds, they are now hoping the season can recommence in late May.

I was thinking the NBA might be able to do the same thing? I wonder if they’ll consider doing this if it looks like the 2020 season won’t be able to start on time.

Weird. I never feel short of breath. Well except hiking at 10k feet and hauling my fat ass up the mountain. But that’s to be expected.

But then like on Wednesday after hiking on the weekend I could hear the crackling if I’m laying on my back.

Atlanta closed schools on March 12th (30 cases). Shelter in place order was effective on the 24th (5000 cases). NY absolutely could have and should have moved more quickly.

1 Like

I think it’s also much too early to talk about turning the corner. At best, it’s the end of the beginning, not the beginning of the end. What now?

1 Like

Yeah. We ain’t near a corner. Inflection point in some places, maybe…“some” is in bold.
Others places have barely started yet.

1 Like

Yeah I am not saying you had asthma. Just one of the common symptoms when having an asthma attack is your lungs crackling as you breath.

1 Like

What are the cliffs on the 5G conspiracy theory? I assume this Q level shite?

1 Like

I think whether you have it or not, you should not be going to the hospital unless you have trouble breathing. A hospital is a terrible place to be when you’re sick. And if you’re having trouble breathing, it also doesn’t matter if you have it or not because you need to go to the hospital.

2 Likes

I’m not saying this to detract from the larger point, but I’m reminded of that scene from House when he explains that the DNA test doesn’t ACTUALLY cost thousands of dollars - they own the machine.

3 Likes

I suspect helicopter fuel, helicopter maintenance, and overtime for helicopter pilots isn’t cheap though.

Helicopter fuel is getting cheaper by the day.

2 Likes

You’re not paying for the flight, you’re paying for the weeks the helicopter and pilot sat on the ground waiting for a call.

1 Like

Fair.