COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

I knew several Army and Navy students in the early 2000s. They were legitimately some of the most impressive people I’ve ever met.

Lol @ having to look up a secret menu to go get a fast food burger. In-n-Out was cool when I was 10, now the whole concept is just dumb.

6 Likes

Require all the cadets and other attendees to wear masks during the ceremony. Make this a last-minute requirement so Trump doesn’t have time to object.

Have fun with the optics of Trump addressing a sea of mask-wearing graduates sitting six feet apart.

2 Likes

It always comes down to this. I derive approximately nothing from the value. Is it a good burger? My one experience says it’s a thoroughly mediocre one, I could not care less if it’s like 8% cheaper per-calorie-per-man-minute or whatever. And I’m certainly not going to memorise a bunch of dumb code-words to ask for mustard or something. Enjoy, but not for me, I don’t think.

Yeah, I think it’s a leak on their part. Nevertheless, it’s still my favorite fast food burger. I always try to stop at one every time I’m in California.

2 Likes

Catching up on this thread.

Meet Revvy. Named, amazing accurately, after the character from Black Lagoon.

6 Likes

I guess I should have said, great for a fast-food burger. I wasn’t intending to compare margins like 8%. I was thinking more like 2-3x.

A nice sit down place can easily do better.

1 Like

Sorry, but In-n-Out Burger is not an appetising name for a fast food restaurant.

3 Likes

Great point. I will add that to my research.

1 Like

PDQ chicken nuggets are better than CFA, imo.

We survived the nail grinding. I held the dogs body and the leg being worked on. The Mrs held the paw/toes and did the grinding.

Treats were had. Didn’t even get peed on. That would have paid +275 had there been action.

The 2.5 mile walk helped. That’s like 12 miles for chihuahua miles.

5 Likes

Are they as bad as Steak n Shake fries?

Those fries are so thin that they cool off from the time they leave the bag to your mouth so they are always cold

Way too much surface area:volume ratio

They’re equally bad, imo. Just for different reasons. Haven’t had Steak and Shake in at least 10 yrs, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Very quick skim. Not much in direct evidence but comparing to similar respiratory virus it is likely a route of infection.

Will have to look if we should be wearing something more than glasses.

1 Like

What blows my mind is that good fries are not hard. Cut them fresh every morning with appropriate thickness, season properly, boom you have great fries. Five Guys nails this.

Separately, why does no fast food chain do wedges? They’re easier and hold their favor longer.

I haven’t been to Five Guys in like 10+ years, but I recall them having soggy, horrible fries. Have they changed their game?

2 Likes

In-n-out is good. Not great, but good. Their secret ingredient is salt. But they are always extremely clean and operate well. My impression from the seeing the people that work there and from the horse’s mouth of an ex-employee is that it’s a pretty good place to work - like good culture. Their standards are pretty high. Like I can’t imagine getting a slimy brown piece of lettuce on something - and that can happen on occasion at most FF places.

5 Likes

I suppose sample size could be a problem here. It was a new location too, so maybe they didnt didn’t yet learn to clean a fryolator to the exacting standards of Gustavo Fring.

But I’m pretty certain I will never bother to increase the size of the sample.

Chik-fil-a is good, but why bother? There’s Popeye’s. Better and cheaper and no religious right-wing company (that we know - they probably are).

Everybody has a unique palate, and as such, every food debate that has ever existed is stupid and boring. And every cooking show that has ever existed is somehow even more stupid and boring.