COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

I assume it’s way more efficient to have 100 people in an office being cooled by like 10 ACs than 100 people home being cooled by 100 ACs.

1 Like

U of Chicago getting great results out of proning vs. blasting humid oxygen filled air up nostrils - instead of ventilators. Big problem is both are super dangerous for healthcare workers.

1 Like

We have to understand how it spreads and how it we can stop the spread.

Clearly being in stagnant room with no face coverings is a no no

How easy is to modify offices, plant floors etc to dramatically decrease the residence time of micro particles in front of our faces.

Opening windows is a yes

Face coverings are a yes but we need to learn much more as to how effective, what types work, are they easily used properly.

We know outside is good. Under what cases is it not good? I think we can reference 1918 knowledge that big gatherings are bad. How much do face coverings help?

How much transfer is smear? Seems like hand washing, periodic sanitization, more touch less transactions, door triggers, etc.

Opening back up is a technology problem. Almost none of the coverage or health official briefings highlight this.

(Preview is next blog post- that micro particle video is A++ stuff).

2 Likes

From my experience going shopping people fucking fail MASSIVELY at keeping distance. Even the people who are here to work on the house constantly try to get close.

Also I’m seeing people looking to gather. Like " lets all go to the creek " so you get like 10+ people gathering all hanging out. No chance they aren’t gonna be close to each other talking and playing around,

That said heat does look to slow it down otherwise Florida would much worse.

1 Like

Could also about the angle of the sun. When it’s winter in higher/lower latitudes, the sun has more atmosphere to go through, intensity is reduced and some spectra are filtered out.

I read something to this effect as a theory for seasonal viruses.

It drives me insane how bad exercising people are at social distancing. GET ON THE SIDE OF THE PATH ASSHOLES. And the bikers…so tempted to just tip them over.

3 Likes

+1

The natural conclusion is by just existing you are an asshole.

Wendy’s spicy chicken ceiling is a 10/10 but it’s often dry, over cooked and just plain bad. The CFA floor, by contrast, is an 8/10, incredible consistency.

6 Likes

I’ll never get the Wendy’s love. It’s like FF for your mom. Karen goes to Wendy’s with all her friends after Zoomba.

8 Likes

6 states doing 1k+ new cases a day and 13 doing 500+. Seems like we are pretty much done with this thing and it’s time to OPEN FOR BUSINESS!

1 Like
1 Like

The one true food critic has already spoken on this issue. You’ll never guess his top pick!

1 Like

The place by me - which is 99.5% of the Wendys I’ve eaten for the last decade - is consistently very good.

Well sure if you base your FF choices on image vs. what the actual food tastes like - Wendys bombs every time.

Lol. Do you really like their food? I know a lot of people say they do, but after eating there I’m convinced most people support it because they just want to support a religious, right-wing company.

Jensen said in the video: “Hospital administrators might well want to see COVID-19 attached to a discharge summary or a death certificate. Why? Because if it’s a straight-forward, garden-variety pneumonia that a person is admitted to the hospital for — if they’re Medicare — typically the diagnosis-related group lump sum payment would be $5,000. But if it’s COVID-19 pneumonia, then it’s $13,000 and if that COVID-19 pneumonia patient ends up on a ventilator it goes up to $39,000.”

First of all I apologize for passing along a deplorable talking point, even as a fact check. And mostly I apologize for the utter aids USA Today website that somehow manages to still get worse every year. But I have some thoughts:

1. I really hope this isn’t holding hospitals back from trying alternatives to ventilators, even at the executive nudging level. Maybe @Will1530 can shed some light on the real world - obviously doctors aren’t sitting there counting up that sweet $39k to put a patient on a vent. Which leads me to:

2. Holy fucking shit I bonk my head and have to go to the ER and it’s $60k, but some person slowly dying for a month on a vent pre-covid is $5k? No wonder the drug companies bribed all those congress critters to keep medicare from being able to negotiate drug prices. I’m as negative on hospital billing as anyone - but even I can grasp a hospital getting $5k to treat someone who dies of garden variety pneumonia on a vent isn’t going to be solvent. We really are subsidizing the shit out of boomers in every conceivable way and all they want to do is fuck us out of more of the pie.

Same experience. I’ve had the dry overcooked version but very very rarely.

I’ve had it more often with the grilled chicken sandwich. Can’t think of it happening with the fried spicy chicken sandwich.

I think people like waiting in line and feeling like they’re part of something special.

Chik-Fil-A or In-N-Out is a destination in LA. Something special to do on Saturday night (especially for people who maybe can’t afford much - it’s a cheap luxury) and worth waiting in line 30 minutes+ for. Wendys is just boring old Wendys.