COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

I don’t think anyone is doing enough testing yet.

The curve in the Netherlands had flattened. Schools are now closed for three weeks, and in the week prior people were already called on to work from home and restaurants, pubs and public event spaces were closed.

Ignore the green in the graph, it means the numbers are incomplete. The graph shows the number of new Covid-19 ICU admissions per day.

And for important context: the icu capacity is not maxed out yet and it seems like the total concurrent cases will stay under maximum capacity in the period to come.

3 Likes

Does no one have an accurate antibody test yet? I’ve been too busy to keep up, but this seems pretty absurd. It can’t be that difficult to test a few thousand randoms to get a representative sample.

Presidential forecast models that take economic data into account are so off the charts bad for Trump that some are predicting that he will obtain a negative number of electoral votes: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/politics/trump-reelection-job-losses-analysis/index.html

Gonna be quite the final nail in the “nothing matters” coffin when he wins re-election in a landslide.

1 Like

MrsWookie yesterday participated in a testing drive based on what would have to be an antibody test. It required a finger prick.

Whatever the title is, I don’t think whatever joke it includes is going to be very funny in the coming days/weeks/months.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1246526026743676930?s=19

Something I read recently had someone testing for antibodies and they were hitting on 70% having them but it was at some sort of medical facility. I am trying to recall more of the details.

Perhaps someone else remembers the story.

But I have not seen anything on a distributed test determining antibodies.

There are several different antibody tests available that are purported to be accurate. Not sure they are widely available in the US though. But don’t worry, the entire Telluride, CO area got tested.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1246839302987943936

You’re still making the mistake of assuming their culture is the same as our culture and that they will (or should) want the same things we might. And you’re still thinking that you, wealthy white tourist, would be in a position to make better choices than them about how they should live their own lives in their own country.

There’s a common enough story now to almost be a trope about Westerners moving to South Asia and trying to do away with all the servants and helpers they’re expected to have because they think they’re being kind or magnanimous or whatever. Then it turns out they’re being disrespectful, putting people out of work, and ignorantly trying to insert their own values into a culture they don’t understand, to the detriment of the people they think they’re helping.

2 Likes

Well I suppose someone will get there eventually. It would be nice to have some data on places that are actually leveling off. Is it quarantines working or is it a significant portion of the population being immune changing Re? You know the kind of data that will tell us whether or not a second tsunami will hit a month after reopening.

Predictit still has him about 31% to win the popular vote.

Cliffs on NEGATIVE electoral votes?

Covid-19: Easiest Pandemic Ever

4 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1246856406021689345

Pink Floyd GOAT

1 Like

Current thread title sadly is perfect for the Trump thread too :(

2 Likes

If the stock market plunge and unemployment levels had happened “organically” then any sitting president would be run off with pitchforks and torches. Of course since it was the result of covid-19 (never the admin’s response to it ldo) it’ll be totally handwaved away. God forbid things clear up by September and there’s even a mild rebound by November, dude will win 47 states.

To be fair though, models like that do have to go out the window when there’s a significant external factor driving the economic numbers.

I think more or less the models aren’t calibrated for “worse than the Great Depression” levels of unemployment.

1 Like