COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

I grew up being friends with a bunch of juggalos. They were pretty decent people. Being there for each other and taking care of each other was super, super important to them. Like if one of their friends was ever in need they’d give them shirt off their back.

I’m sure law of averages means some of them are complete scum, but as a group they’re probably better than most.

5 Likes

Yeah that seems to be a strong part of their culture.

Heh, I haven’t missed watching sports at all. I’m not even watching reruns

2 Likes

I don’t miss the sports themselves as much as I miss having something to be distracted by.

And gamble on

2 Likes

Yeah I’m definitely going to miss getting my ass kicked in fantasy football by my mother for the seventh year in a row

8 Likes

A twitter thread of pictures from 1918 San Francisco showed:

• Everybody wore masks. The alternative was arrest.
  • Everything moved outdoors. Court was held outdoors. Barbers worked outdoors.

Also they had small silo cells of doctors, nurses, police, etc. responsible for neighborhoods. So caregivers only worked with the same few coworkers all the time.

2 Likes

Requisite.

3 Likes

There was also an insane anti-mask movement at the time.

In Germany ground zero was where huge carnival festivities took place in February. Think of millions crowded like this:

In Spain it is Madrid where there were several marches for International Women’s Day.

Some probably travelling there, getting infected and then spreading it all over Spain.

I left my house for the first time in a month yesterday to go to a medical appointment. Absolutely shocking how many cars were on the road. Way more than I saw one month ago. 10 in line at a McDonald’s, 15+ at a Starbucks, and every road had more traffic than a random Wednesday normally would.

It felt like people were getting lazy. And this is in the second worst state in the country.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Yea, had to take my cat to the vet yesterday and traffic was pretty much back to normal for a weekday afternoon.

I have to go in to work every other week and traffic has been much lighter than normal times, haven’t had to slow down on the highway since early March.

1 Like

I don’t understand all these articles about some tiny company in Nebraska working on a covid vaccine? Why the fuck isn’t the US government spending unlimited $$ on this task?

1 Like

Yep - but I didn’t really want to be that active. I just couldn’t help myself. Out of sight out of mind.

I would LOVE for one of these potential miracle treatments to deliver, but the odds are stacked against us.

I just realize the rational path to return is massive testing, while continuing social distancing measures, with track and trace while waiting on a hopeful vaccine a long way down the road.

I think it is why the testing issue is so frustrating. It has been clear for a long time that large scale testing was going to be absolutely necessary but we seemingly make no progress.

Congratulations and sorry you won’t be able to attend the ultrasound.

1 Like

I think there are like 20 vaccines being developed in parallel by various entities.

edit: 70 worldwide

Seems dumb the distancing guideline is six feet which is also the distance the virus can spread via cough.