COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

https://mobile.twitter.com/uofl/status/1252978596915957760?s=21

Oh?

Weā€™re flattening the curve, not reducing itā€™s total area.

1 Like

And when we stop doing the things that flatten the curve after a month or two what happens then?

How many more people would die if we all got sick at once?

This is only true if things donā€™t get incredibly ugly down the road. I wouldnā€™t bet too hard on that if I were you. Weā€™re looking at reopening at the fucking peak right now. Youā€™d be 100% correct if we actually flattened the curveā€¦ but Iā€™m pretty worried weā€™ve just delayed it.

You guys are all missing my point. I am all for lockdowns/flattening the curve. I am saying IF we stop doing the things that are flattening the curve and get OPEN FOR BUSINESS does it really matter much if we overran the hospitals in April 2020 or June 2020?

1 Like

In Atlanta, marketing emails are starting to come in from gyms and restaurants.

Iā€™ve gotten 2 restaurant emails so far. One said weā€™re not opening for sit-down yet. Another had a survey of customers, who apparently responded that they are not comfortable opening for sit down, so they also will not open.

One gym said they will not open despite being allowed, until at least June 1. Another gym will open Friday, but is maxing capacity at 12 and requiring advance sign up for the slots (itā€™s a decent sized gym, but 12 seems a lot for this gym).

Iā€™m guessing the main changes will be fast food and counter service places, which donā€™t really need to make any adjustments to allow dine-in service.

By then itā€™s probably gone through enough of the population that opening things up wonā€™t lead to hospitals overcrowding.

Okay fair point. Yes I think itā€™s easy to make such stupid decisions that we nullify any benefit we previously manifested

1 Like

Best estimates are that somewhere between 1-5% of us have had this. That is a negligible impact frankly if this thing is just allowed to run its course.

3 Likes

Assumes you canā€™t get it twice (immunity not proven, or for how long if immune)

And isnā€™t that exactly what a big portion of our government is pushing for? Thatā€™s my point. Getting OPEN FOR BUSINESS now or even 2 months from now will still result in only a slightly better result as just never shutting down.

Obviously what we should be doing is buying time to let the total number of cases/deaths decline and implement wide spread testing/tracing. That is not what we are doing. So how does it matter if this thing went buck wild in April or buck wild in a few months. Flattening the curve only matters if you stick with it or use the time wisely to implement other things that will matter.

1 Like

Iā€™m not educated enough to have more than an opinion on this, so I will listen to what others ITT have to say in response.

Your pony was used for the adhesive on the double sided boob tape of the braless ladies at Churchill Downs on Derby Day.

Of course my pony got ground into dog found for poorly linking the story wo preview.

LOL Thatā€™ll teach you to post a link without first checking whether the link populates a preview

1 Like

Probably not. Theoretically weā€™d be better situated with tests, helpful therapies, etc but lolTrump.

Obv, follow the logic dude. We can do anything we want as long as it only affects ourselvesā€¦ and any others we might come into contact with at some point in the future.

Did that stop extended families from gathering during the season?

1 Like

But seriously, you are right. Right now is nothing compared to what is to come. We are still in the calm before the storm.

Dunno, mine certainly didnā€™t. I took a long walk on Easter through my heavily Catholic city and saw a few get togethers, but not many. Plus if youā€™re just talking about Easter dinner thatā€™s not uniquely Catholic at all.