COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

This is pretty terrifying to me. Having suffered with hypoxia several times when having pneumonia, the idea that you can experience the negative aspects of it without any of the more obvious symptoms is scary. In my worst situation, were that the case I certainly would have just died at home, most likely while asleep.

Part of my issue with this rush to reopen is I feel like we have a lot of loose ends in terms of how this disease impacts and effects people and we are still trying to figure it out.

There is still no real definitive result on the rate of asymptomatic spread (or in this case hidden symptomatic spread).

Not sure why people want to rush in as guinea pigs.

jfc - Georgia is about to hit 20,000 confirmed cases and 800 deaths with one of the lowest testing rates in the country.

Florida could have a very weird curve in that when it gets to summer I’m a assuming a much bigger % of their gatherings are going to be indoors with AC. Spring could actually give them a false sense of security. Any parallels with 1918, when no one essentially had AC, will break down.

One thing I’d be curious to see Florida or some other state try, is to limit any public gathering to a) outdoor and b) daytime.

Need my daily Villages update, stat.

1 Like

Counterpoint;

Tuesday has been the bump iirc.

Bigger issue is kids are much more savvy at technology and some zoom classrooms have teachers looking at 30 screenshots of attentive students while they do other things.

The New York trend is probably the most encouraging thing I see now.

If we could actually get the necessary testing I think we could be moving forward soon, but without it, just seems lol.

I really think the GA situation is really just about absolving the state of economic responsibility for the situation and also helping the owner class to enforce contracts. There’s no way that a bowling alley can profitably operate at 30% of the revenue that they were doing before.

That bowling alley owner goes from being a victim of circumstances outside of his control to a loser that can’t figure out a way to make a profit. The latter designation is more convenient for everyone.

5 Likes

Meanwhile the federal government will continue to bail out big businesses while small businesses are pushed back to work to fail.

2 Likes

Per the JHU map, 151 cases as of now. That’s +40 overnight after having been stalled a while. I kinda think there just isn’t much testing happening there.

NYC seems to be on the mend, looking at total number of cases it looks like it’s flattening out at 19k total cases.

Untitled254 Untitled23

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Bogs4NY/status/1252597825973751810

Might want to think about that de Blasio.

1 Like

A fucking parade, are you shitting me.

2 Likes

US deaths still look to be on steep climb and you guys are GETTING OPEN FOR BUSINESS - crazy!

lol A parade. If you were brainstorming ways to get everyone sick this might be at the top of the list. It’s 100% going to happen in the terrible timeline we’re living in.

Someone send Mayor De Blasio this Wikipedia article, please:

3 Likes

Wow… that’s a really bad plan

Its because it’s expensive as all shit to be in an ICU bed in america. We literally choose money over health here.

1 Like

So, that article about minor viral populations within patients looks pretty legit, and my associates working on somewhat related stuff are taking it seriously. It could use some further confirmation, and it’s not the largest sample size, but at least the first glance at it makes it seem like decent work.