COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

In the year 3000 we all wear halos around our necks at the poker tables. We can handle the chips and cards just don’t touch our faces. Don’t ask me how you look at your cards.

Getting reads behind masks…

This thing keeps keeps getting discovered doing damage all over the body. Yes it could be even worse but this thing is

I’m really worried about the long term health effects. If it really is doing damage even in some without symptoms it could even have a lasting impact on long term life span stats.

1 Like

There is suggestion that there could be cross immunity with SARS but not cold causing strains. I don’t think that is a lot of data.

It’s NY post so good for trolling purposes.

2 Likes

Hey lawbros do we get a cease and desist letter sent on our Guillotine idea?

1 Like

On the Georgia reopening, most companies won’t be able to immediately and if they did they face the problem of liability

Movie theater circuits believe that it reopening won’t just be like flicking a switch. AMC Theaters, Regal Cinemas, Cinemark and other chains have furloughed or laid off almost all employees, and locations across the U.S. have been entirely shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic. It would take longer than a week, insiders say, to re-hire staff and then train them in proper safety procedures.

Kemp’s announcement, which is in line with President Donald Trump’s first phase in the process of reopening the country, will require companies to observe strict social distancing measures and implement enhance sanitation. Workers will also have to be screened for illness, the governor said.

But even if employees were able to return to work swiftly and without the virus, there’s also a question of liability. Theater owners are still exploring legal issues they could face, should audiences get infected with COVID-19 from going to their movie theater. It’s uncertain whether the burden would fall on the exhibitor or the state.

Hence why Republicans are trying to pass removing liability from companies so they can force workers back to work via starvation and can’t be held liable for it.

So I’m on my 6th straight 12 hr day and haven’t been keeping up. Which states are volunteering to be the reopening test subjects? I know of Texas and Georgia, who else is on the list?

5 Likes

That is the dream Keeeeed. I’d prefer to wait for some data. I assume there is much work going on.

A simple experiment design

Get two groups of people that align demographically (the same mix of young old etc)

20 negatives
20 positives that are all known to be shedding

Put the 20 negs in a room for an our without masks. Sample the air and surfaces after an hour.

Repeat with 20 positives with masks on

Then repeat the positives after masks off (clean and uv the room.

Negative control-test condition-positive control.

SC?

Latest New York State numbers from Cuomo

Recent daily deaths
April 8: 799
April 9: 777
April 10: 783
April 11: 758
April 12: 671
April 13: 778
April 14: 758
April 15: 606
April 16: 630
April 17: 540
April 18: 507
April 19: 478
April 20: 481

Slight increase yesterday instead of typical Monday bump is good news.

7 Likes

Hey, @Will1530, @TJ_Eckleburg12,

Has there been any improvement on treatment on the front lines? Are you seeing more recoveries from people admitted to the hospital or has it been holding steady since the outbreak?

Seems like after this long there should be some data on treatment that is more successful…

3 Likes

That’s a really well written paper. Some key things

Looking at transmission in the general public they exclude retirement communities as those are closed systems that have very high rates of transmission and because of the oldster data can really skew the overall data. I agree with this approach. Controlling spread in the general population is their public safety goal. Separate measures are needed to keep it out of retirement/nursing homes and to contain if it does get in.

The IFR is 0.5 with a range of .4-.7.

We can estimate our % infected from

Positives x CFR/IFR. If we are at CFR=5 then our positives are 10x as a ballpark. My rough math at 800k positives is ballpark 2.5% (8/330 million). Note this is not 50-80 fold with 15% infected.

If our true IFR is similar. I’m guessing it is but???

Also note they correctly adjust the CFR based on time- some of today’s positives will die which is not reflected directly in the numbers. A lot more maths than I want to get into now. I used a simple linear correlation to project out a week. Theirs is more detailed.

So Anyone saying something in the 5% and a little below range for % infected is probably pretty close. Those saying over 10% are probably not.

It’s not that hard of a read. The last half of the pages are all tables. Give it a shot.

Still the unanswered question is what is R for people out in public all wearing “effective” masks (to be defined).

They got an R of 0.53 for France lockdown. I believe it was tighter than here. I’m ballparking .8-.85 for US

Thanks for the link.

4 Likes

So the n95 masks only filter going in but not breathing out. Is it the same with those p100 respirators? Like if you’re sick and wearing one of those will you still be spreading the virus?

No idea about 100s but would expect so. Hard to exhale. But a simple couple of cotton layers should do wonders on the exhaust. Maybe some kind of resin or carbon with a long path to exhaust could do better (adsorb particles). I could see a coriolus (sp?) tube (think coil) coated with something virus sticky?

1 Like

I hope all the adults there get it, don’t pass it to anyone else, and die at home.

Any bats in New York?

A circle of life kind of thing.

The zoom boom is definitely going to have a post pandemic impact. Although I saw an article the other day that was asking whether Zoom really wanted everyone using its software.

Regardless of software though, people have figured out how to do a lot more over video conference, that for the first time it is starting to look like the futuristic projections of many decades ago.

Unfortunately South Carolina. Makes me so sad.