COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Your pony was in that parade.

Had a PhD chemist who wanted to scale up his beaker reaction of starch and sodium hydroxide. So goes out into the pilot plant and just went from 200 mL to 200 gallons without consulting anyone or doing the required safety review.

Turns out a small glass beaker can dissipate heat much better than a 200 gallon nalgene (plastic) tank. Plus the beaker is glass.

I came upon this just as the tank was starting to deform. Thankfully we have some portable cooling coils so we dropped one in before total disaster occurred. Exotherms. Whattya gonna do?

1 Like

John Oliver killing it as usual.

3 Likes

They island hopped all the way from NZ area I think. Saw a documentary a long time ago about how they did it. Think they’d settle on one and then eventually (generations?) a new group would venture further out. A team made the dugout canoes and made some of the trips. But yeah that last jump to the Hawaii area…

1 Like

Yeah, like it’s such an extreme move given the sailing technology plausibly available. I wonder if it was made necessary by some disaster or invasion or something. Not sure why else it would happen.

Google hit #1 Has some theories on over population or disputes about ruling families (so one decides to move on. Either sounds good to me.

https://www.sea.edu/spice_atlas/rangiroa_atlas/polynesian_migration

You won’t ever meet them. They’re a tiny, largely astroturfed movement that’s being propped up as a meaningful political current by the ~engagement~ addicted media to get clix. Good thing it won’t have any political or public health consequences!

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s this. It’s creating conflict in the big story of the day. “Mentally ill weirdos protest lockdown in Lansing, which I guess is the capital of Michigan?” is not a story. “Republicans take to the streets over lockdown” is.

1 Like

Can’t wait to watch this. I’ve enjoyed his updates.

Apparently shake shack is paying the $10 million they got. The day cause they raised private equity but sure seems it’s due to the bad publicity.

On my consulting business front my accountant says no one got EIDL money. They kept changing the rules. Not worth it for me try for PPP I’m better with UE. Waiting to hear on that. Who knows how long it takes.

But in other news- guess who is NOT getting any of the Paycheck Protection Money. Shockingly the employees are getting squatto.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/no-that-20-million-for-ruths-chris-isnt-going-to-workers-at-franchises/

Nitting… But super rugby?

1 Like

Re Polynesian expansion. I read some stuff about their navigation, technology, ability to read the currents and clouds and bird patterns to detect land.

Between that and some fairly predictable wind patterns, it was all very much within their technological limits.

I.e. obv still extreme. But not some crazy leap of faith.

1 Like

From my NYT daily digest. This is just another issue with the Santa Clara study some of you participated in. No one really knows what a positive AB test really means. Could garden variety Cv strains give a false positive to C19? Any other interferences. Let alone what it says about immunity.

It’s ok that the science is a bit messy right now. That’s normal. Sadly some run with the number because hey science! Think cold fusion. I know tons of scientists that run with HPLC data because it’s a number! But they have no clue how to critically analyze the analysis for errors and assign confidence.

Antibody testing is problematic, officials say

Saying that the coronavirus pandemic requires an urgent response, the Food and Drug Administration has allowed about 90 companies, many based in China, to sell antibody tests that are intended to indicate whether people may have built immunity to the coronavirus but that haven’t been vetted by the government.

Saying that the coronavirus pandemic requires an urgent response, the Food and Drug Administration has allowed about 90 companies, many based in China, to sell antibody tests that are intended to indicate whether people may have built immunity to the coronavirus but that haven’t been vetted by the government.

The agency has since warned that some of those businesses are making false claims about their products, and health officials in the U.S. and abroad have found other tests to be deeply flawed.

Officials fear a repeat of the earlier launch of Covid-19 diagnostic tests that failed to monitor which Americans, and how many, had been infected.
Science nit ITT

Yeah, I think it must have been biggest soccer league.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/493501-south-carolina-to-reopen-public-beaches-retail-stores-next-week-amid

We’re gonna start reopening here this week. There are no words.

4 Likes

Had someone I know go into the hospital yesterday with a slight fever and some other slight symptoms. Tested for Coronavirus and came back negative but were also told the test results are only 70% accurate. What?! How is that possible at this point?

It’s almost as if there is a reason the FDA usually doesn’t allow things to market without first reviewing and approving. (And I say this as someone who was just as frustrated as anyone else that testing wasn’t in place and some of the rules needed to be relaxed. I was wrong.)

1 Like

Seems absolutely idiotic. I vacation regularly in the Myrtle Beach area, and it gets packed cheek to jowl once schools start letting out. South Carolina gonna be a new hotspot once that happens.

Stone Mountain Park in Georgia is still open (though attractions are not). There are signs up and I think police are enforcing social distancing and what-not, but there’s a big problem: to avoid paying for official parking, lots of people are parking in town and walking. Stone Mountain residents are upset because now the city is getting more crowded. The park has been asked to close a couple entrances to deter people from doing this, but the park won’t do it.