COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Basically. The handling of the bushfires was more of a PR disaster, there was also mismanagement prior to the actual event, and the government’s denialist attitude to climate change of course, but once the fires started there wasn’t a lot to be done about them.

Well yeah, like we (the world’s twentieth largest island!) aren’t part of ‘contintental Europe’.

Further side note: I did not realise how truly utterly isolated Hawai’i is. Before becoming glued to that Johns Hopkins map, I’d have said it was like a few hundred miles off the coast of California. Absolute middle of fucking nowhere, though. How did people get there thousands of years ago?

One of the tamer experiments I got to run while working in aerospace was a demonstration of how different clothing materials react to flame. We just cut some strips and hung them above a Bunsen burner. Heavy cotton is good. Polyester, you may as well soak your clothes in gasoline.

And by the way, those fancy aluminized suits aren’t that great if the heat flux is high enough. We dressed a crash dummy in one and ignited a bag of sodium azide in its “hands”. The suit got hot and also shrunk. Assuming you survived, it would really really suck to have that thing peeled off your body.

Yeah but I’m gonna guess 80%+ is uninhabitable wasteland

Always liked reading about the Polynesian and all the different theories about them and where they came from and where they could of reach. Even to The Americas and Alaska.

2 Likes

My mother’s the same. Thing is she buys the blame the states narrative so she’s still supporting Trump.

So wsop not cancelled yet? Would be a great time to legalize federal online poker and put it in the next covid relief bill. Especially with all that stimulus cash swirling around. Lol, no, that ain’t happening in the same bill. Here’s a couple trillion and let’s legalize online poker!!!

Oh, wow, there is a Change.org petition to cancel it: [Petition · Cancel the 2020 World Series of Poker (WSOP) · Change.org]

Australia is fascinating to me. Particularly the cities of Perth and Alice Springs. It would be weird being the only large city for thousands of miles. The closest meaningful city is like a 30 hour drive from Perth so obviously you have to fly to do anything. And Alice Springs, in the middle of nowhere, and one of, if not the, hottest cities in the world, and yet somehow they found 25k people who wanted to live there. I’m not sure you could pay me enough to live there. I lived in New Zealand for a year, but unfortunately didn’t visit Australia for more than a week. You don’t realize how freakin’ isolated they are until you get there (especially NZ). Maybe not Hawai’i level tho.

1 Like

Since Republicans aren’t going to be the ones to stick it in the bill, what concessions on the GOP wish list are you wiling to see Democrats give up so you can have online poker?

They’re both isolated, but it’s weird to compare the 2 cities. Perth has about 100x the population of Alice Springs. Perth is a real city, Alice Springs is a podunk town.

Not comparing them, just saying they’re both intriguing for different reasons.

On 22 you did, liar. :grinning: I hate to think what a search of your earlier posts there would reveal.

It’s my pleasure to be able to put on ignore you and your hysterical FUCK EVERYONE ELSE WHAT ABOUT ME AND MY LUXURY CRUISES posts. Peace, Trumpy arsehole.

1 Like

Most of the liberate us from our lives rallies have been kind of small, but… There are going to be a bunch of little spikes wherever all these fools go back too.

https://twitter.com/TitusNation/status/1252085083617366017

I’m grunching, but I assume you want a range of opinions. First, I don’t envy your position. I think there are a few perspectives:

1. If the person I loved most in the world was about to go work in an ER, I’d want to kidnap them and stop it from happening.

2. If she feels compelled to go help people, I totally understand that.

3. If she’s scared and doesn’t want to, that’s okay too.

As a result I’d be uncomfortable advising her, and I think I might tell her only she can decide and that I’d do everything I could to support her regardless. My one thing would be that she’s not allowed to consider money whatsoever. But if she chose to go to work, I’m not sure I could stop myself from trying to talk her out of it.

I don’t think dedicating X years before this and Y years after it to helping people via medical work means you have to risk your life right now, if you don’t want to take that chance.

3 Likes

It’s a worrying time of asthmatics, but will’s post in the locked thread gives us less to worry about. Some speculation follows as to why this might be.

Having said that, if you can survive without financial ruination then depending what infection rates are like where you are I’d strongly consider taking some time off unless it’s her calling and she’s devoted to her job.

2 Likes

Amazing - looks like it might not be quite as bad as some have been saying, at least for those fortunate enough not to live under terrible governments.

1 Like

Unfortunately if I’m reading it right, they have asthma at 0% among COVID-19 patients. There’s just no way that’s the case, it most likely means they weren’t listing it as a potential comorbidity or something.

That said, I’ve come to be far more worried about my weight than my asthma. It seems like being overweight is a major comorbidity, and likely increases the risk of it going to the lungs in the first place.

If/when we do a partial reopening, even if I think it’s somewhat safe, I’m not leaving the house much until I finish dropping enough weight.

1 Like

That’s the post I was looking for instead of the one I found.

Diabetes is correlated with being overweight so the latter on its own may not mean much if you’re reasonably fit and exercise regularly. Weren’t people saying they thought asthmatics may be better equipped against this virus?

This reminds me of something I read early on about the spread in Wuhan. People who were totally isolated in their apartments were catching it, and they presumed it was spreading within the building either through air vents or pipes. Probably had to do with the HVAC.

Yeah and it’s worth pointing out the definition of “meaningful city” here. If you ignore Mandurah and Bunbury, which are really just satellite cities of Perth, the closest city of even 35,000+ people is Adelaide, a 28 hour drive away.

Trivia: The A-League, which is Australia’s top-level soccer competition, includes a team from Wellington, New Zealand. There to Perth is the largest distance between two teams in the same sporting league in the world. It’s 3270 miles as the crow flies and if there were direct flights, which there aren’t, the flying time would be 7 to 8 hours.

2 Likes