COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Yelling “Communism”, "China’.

So Fuck em, Total fucking idiots. Make it be known that people know that they are total idiots.
They can block the streets for a bit but they should be told that they are the absolute morons! Tell it to their faces if you ever see them.
I really wish I could meet some of these people( yeah, I’m a grouchy fkr, but idiots really are idiots)

1 Like

Chemistry grad schools tend to be pretty cavalier about safety regs, it’s a bit of a culture shock getting a real job where you can’t just dick around with dangerous chemicals and equipment and expect no one to yell at you.

I got yelled at once on the job for handling liquid nitrogen without PPE. Like, com on, man. You don’t need gloves and a damn face shield for that.

2 Likes

My maga death cult dad is getting increasingly frustrated with these protests and Trump. He’s aware most of these people are Trump supporters.

If trump loses my dad it’s over. He’s like a perfect representation of a huge portion of Trumps base.

He thinks the national guard should shoot these protestors, that’s language he only ever uses for democrats/liberals.

16 Likes

I was doing final year organic chemistry at college and I was working in a lab with a grad student, he was like OK you need to measure out 200 mL of this stuff here. I said “shouldn’t I do that in the fume hood?” and he’s like “why, does it stink?” and unscrews the top and takes a whiff. I was like “no… it’s that it has warnings on it about being carcinogenic etc” and he was like “oh yea they all say that”.

It was at that moment that I decided that I did not want to pursue a job in chemistry.

According to the State of California, he was right.

1 Like

18 Likes

Old man strength is real. I’m 50 and I’ve never lifted more. I swear it gets easier to get to a new high every time.

Knew a dude in grad school who lost a finger in an explosion. And a guy who got hit in the eye with a laser. And there was one lab where like everyone working on this one system got hit with 5,000 volts at least once. Shit’s wild in chemistry grad school.

2 Likes

The same grad student once said he was working on a reaction in the lab and was like “hmmm. smells like almonds in here”. Then a few seconds later, was running out of the lab and hitting the evac alarm.

For those who ain’t know, cyanide gas smells like bitter almonds.

It think it was chemistry… pretty big story at the time…some student at UCLA got burned maybe to death because she was wearing polyester clothing that caught fire during an experiment.

A huge number of professors and senior lecturers in economics in Australia have signed an open letter warning the government against relaxing restrictions too early. I’ll save you a click and copy the text:

Dear Prime Minister and Members of the National Cabinet:

The undersigned economists have witnessed and participated in the public debate about when to relax social-distancing measures in Australia. Some commentators have expressed the view that there is a trade-off between the public health and economic aspects of the crisis. We, as economists, believe this is a false distinction.

We cannot have a functioning economy unless we first comprehensively address the public health crisis. The measures put in place in Australia, at the border and within the states and territories, have reduced the number of new infections. This has put Australia in an enviable position compared to other countries, and we must not squander that success.

We recognise that the measures taken to date have come at a cost to economic activity and jobs, but believe these are far outweighed by the lives saved and the avoided economic damage due to an unmitigated contagion. We believe that strong fiscal measures are a much better way to offset these economic costs than prematurely loosening restrictions.

As has been foreshadowed in your public remarks, our borders will need to remain under tight control for an extended period. It is vital to keep social-distancing measures in place until the number of infections is very low, our testing capacity is expanded well beyond its already comparatively high level, and widespread contact tracing is available.

A second-wave outbreak would be extremely damaging to the economy, in addition to involving tragic and unnecessary loss of life.

Apparently Australia is not OPEN FOR BUSINESS. Sad!

3 Likes

In grad school I routinely worked with piranha solution and even hydrofluoric acid and never got a bit of safety training on that. Now in my real-world job I’m, required to sit in on a 30 min presentation on the extreme hazards of handling liquid nitrogen. It’s quite a difference in culture. God save me if I ever find myself needing to whip up a batch of piranha solution, they’ll probably make me watch two hours’ worth of safety videos and have me suit up like I’m in the bomb squad.

1 Like

What’s that stuff that ignites instantly? Flash paper or something like that?

My first day in chemistry class, my professor walked in, wrote some big ass chemistry formula on the board, lit the cotton on fire, and erased the formula all in about 3 seconds and said “See, isn’t chemistry fun?”

2 Likes

Kinda insane Austrailia is in like the top 3 countries handling this. Especially after how utterly incompetent the conservatives seemed handling the wildfire.

They went from Trump level bad to super elite. I’m guessing the conservatives just said alright we can’t fuck this up too, lets just do whatever the experts tell us this time.

Trumps liberators. Love to see how many of them are from that area…

So sick of his supporters.

I want to thank you for this advice. It’s very good. My father has some sort of glaucoma drops as well, and a few others for various ailments including prostate cancer, Parkinson’s, and blood pressure. He’s 90 and doing reasonably well, but I can’t convince them to just let CVS deliver and to have their groceries delivered, but a 3 month or greater supply of critical meds in light of potential supply-chain disruptions is a wise idea.

I also wanted to congratulate you and your team on winning perhaps the last championship of any sport, as I recall that you’re one of those crazy Chiefs fanatics.

2 Likes

Helps it’s an island with easily limited access between states. Also community transmission extremely low here for any of the previously speculated reasons.

Australia isn’t really an island. It’s the size of the continental United States. It’s not like Iceland or something.

I think technically, the continent of Australia is separate from the island of Australia. They seem to keep changing their story, though. I was told the continent was Australasia when i was a kid, then it was Oceania(?) and now seemingly it’s Australia again. It also may be smaller than you think if you’re used to the Mercator projection, which makes Africa look about the size of Greenland when it’s ~15x bigger.

It’s 95% of the size of the contiguous United States (i.e. without Alaska and Hawaii).

Side note, I always thought “contiguous United States” and “continental United States” were synonymous, but it turns out the latter includes Alaska, which makes sense from the name.

1 Like