COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Letter from a nurse

There are undoubtedly people who died for other causes that get written off to having had Covid. That is a completely different thing than what is being listed in the official statistics.

Of course none of this would be an issue if we didn’t have third world testing.

1 Like

Go for it. That’s pretty interesting.

I currently run a call centre selling electricity to consumers. Now I’m trying to learn a bit more about it.

Doing chemical processes and Thermo in an “Analysing Energy Systems” course. Probably pretty basic stuff for most, but I did very little even high school science and then did a humanities undergrad (15 years ago) so this is a hard grind.

Surely Minnesota, Michigan and/or Virginia can come up with some sort of waiver form for the Trump fans to sign, allowing them to go to bars and rallies and whatever else the fuck they think they’re being unfairly prevented from doing as long as they agree that they and their entire household will be inelligible for medical treatment in the event that they somehow contract COV19. Anyone who refuses to sign is expected to stay home but receives state financial support.

4 Likes

Yeah, so about that miracle cure Remdisivir:

[quote] Dr. Kathryn Hibbert, director of the medical intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital, is participating in the NIAID trial. She said it’s not at all clear to her if the drug is having an impact.

“We have seen patients who’ve received remdesivir who’ve had remarkable recoveries and we’ve seen patients who’ve not received remdesivir and had remarkable recoveries,” said Hibbert, also an instructor at Harvard Medical School. “Overall, patients are doing well and have made recoveries, even the sickest of the sick.” [/quote]

Yes we have Will to tell us what’s up. Sounds like Remdisivir may have some marginal benefits but is not some kind of miracle cure.

(chuckles)

11 Likes

Wow. Powerful stuff. My wife just heard from a friend whose sister is collecting samples at a testing site. I guess they do some data collection on profession, etc. 30% of the people that are healthcare workers are testing positive. Granted it’s a self selected sample but that number is big enough that there is no doubt that a fuck ton have it.

(Official science numbers decided on by me, Mr Science)
1-9% a shit ton
10% and up a fuck ton

1 Like

I took what the department called “physical chemistry for life science majors” but what prof Babcock called “p-chem for idiots”. They just gave us the algebra equations instead of making us use calculus to derive them. I wish mich st had minors then I would have gotten one as i was one class away from a BA in chemistry (often a high school chem teacher). But they only had double majors requiring a whole extra Year of tuition Errrr classes. Money grab.

Still I’m a pretty good chemist for a biologist.

2 Likes

Wish I could give this for 10 likes for the

(Chuckles). Exactly what I heard in my ahead.

1 Like

+10 for this too. You guys are en fuego

My biggest Worry about going back is thinking the academics are idiots.

There are a lot of bad scientists out there. Just cause you call yourself one doesn’t mean you are good at it. Like any profession I guess.

1 Like

Or just ask them to post a 500k bond per person.

Non Apple for suzzer

No. You were doing great until bolded. Bolded is incorrect. There are cases of viral infections (e.g. HIV) where you make antibodies, but they don’t give you immunity at all.

In all honesty I really wish these fuckwads are right and they can flood the beaches without devastating effects. That would be great.

6 Likes

Graduate p-chem classes are great for losing your grasp of reality.

1 Like

Florida Man!

https://mobile.twitter.com/mcmillen/status/1251632509848297474

3 Likes

This is a relief.

https://mobile.twitter.com/motherboard/status/1251669347522605058

2 Likes
4 Likes