COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

True.

Marksmanā€™s point about 10 people shopping for 200 is good and I thought about that, but people who wouldnā€™t dare step outside are awfully cavalier about sending errand boys and girls all over town.

3 Likes

It depends on how the picking is done of course, but if that is done in a safe manner, delivery can be much safer for all.

1 Like

People should be doing things like shopping for their neighbors and not putting so much on the delivery people. And any people could be doing the same procedures as careful delivery people. And, ā€œif that is done in a safe mannerā€ you know is a pretty big if.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been having a facebook conversation with a guy I used to deal poker to when I still did that. He lives in Volusia County, FL, and mostly believes weā€™re overreacting because more people die from alcohol, and their numbers arenā€™t huge yet (though Iā€™m sure like most conservatives heā€™ll quickly change his mind when Covid hits somebody close to himā€¦)

Anyways, somebody else chimed into our conversation. I wonder if Kimberlyā€™s family will be posting a GoFundMe the way Karenā€™s family did 2 weeks after she thought everything was a hoax:

1 Like

What does ā€œhitting their numbersā€ mean?

Instacart deliverers are just wandering around the stores shopping off the shelves like the rest of us.

I think the centralized delivery services like Peapod or Fresh Direct are the best option here because the food comes straight from a warehouse so the employees donā€™t have to interact with a bunch of randoms in a supermarket. Unfortunately I have only been able to schedule deliveries from these sources once every two weeks, and about half of the things ordered have been out of stock. So have had to supplement with some Instacart type deliveries. That is still density reducing compared to having everyone do their own shopping.

Everything is poker. I mean, with your brother weā€™re talking about what risks he will take to keep his job. Tuesday I will be on a roof, possibly in the rain, doing a little dealing with high voltage wires. Iā€™d reschedule if possible, but some money would be nice and itā€™s very time sensitive because a roofing crew is coming afterwards. Not something Iā€™d want to do every day - but doing it this time - even if itā€™s raining off and on.

Iā€™m guessing she thinks thereā€™s a media narrative to inflate number to make Trump look bad.

Itā€™s an interesting thought exercise. Iā€™m assuming you wouldnā€™t want to tell people they couldnā€™t offer this service? So if the service is available?

We did get a couple of deliveries weeks ago when the risks were very low around here just to test it out. However, ultimately I decided that Iā€™m going to do it for my family as long as I can.

Yeah, I see a great benefit to using Peapod or similar services.

LMFAO, today I learned that my mom has a 50-pack of facemasks at home and not because of corona, she just always has had a supply for years as a general rule, along with the closet full of canned goods that Iā€™ve already told you all about. My parents are just astonishingly well-prepared for this crisis, and that takes a little bit of the worry off for me.

7 Likes

Having one person delivering food for hundreds might not be a great idea when that person turns out to be Typhoid Mary.

Iā€™m 80% delivery, 20% takeout. The risk of dealing with one person for a few seconds is way less than hundreds of people for an hour. Itā€™s not even clear the virus can be transmitted through food. Also the food is tastier. Going to donate my grocery stockpile tomorrow.

2 Likes

Well, I think we might be talking past each other here a little.

Sure, I agree that itā€™s not right to shift your risk to others because you got the $$$ to do so, while the others gotta keep working because they are stuck in the Wage System: those in immediate need of wages to survive. Still another reason to abolish that inhuman system. And if someone was spiking the ball about leveraging the wage system to be ā€œsuper cleanā€ā€¦ well, they should be embarrassed.

While what I was getting at is something different. That is, all things being equally bad, delivery is safer.

Ringing is clearly more dangerous than making deliveries. Professional pickers on the clock are going to be able to keep six feet apart. Random untrained amateurs, some who think this is all a hoax, wandering around browsing, not so much. Deliveries are serialized, random shoppers will tend to clump up in the store.

Eh, typhoid is spread primarily by contaminated food and water, coronavirus is a respiratory disease. Itā€™s not a great comparison. Corona can survive on surfaces for a while, but it does seem like reducing crowds in a grocery store makes good sense.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t tell anyone they couldnā€™t do it. And good of the many, right? But if itā€™s so dangerous to just be outside, I guess the delivery people are just going to be sacrificed. Also, miffed that someone who is so safe with the not going outside and deliveries was just today (I think today) joking about how funny it was that we were worried about a little thing like war in Iran.

Iā€™m with you about employment and freedom and the Wage System in general - but - not just people in the Wage System - some of us have to keep working even if weā€™re not and perhaps because weā€™re not in the Wage System.

Yeah, picking off public shelves, and then getting in the public line to be rung, would really suck.