COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

They’re both isolated, but it’s weird to compare the 2 cities. Perth has about 100x the population of Alice Springs. Perth is a real city, Alice Springs is a podunk town.

Not comparing them, just saying they’re both intriguing for different reasons.

On 22 you did, liar. :grinning: I hate to think what a search of your earlier posts there would reveal.

It’s my pleasure to be able to put on ignore you and your hysterical FUCK EVERYONE ELSE WHAT ABOUT ME AND MY LUXURY CRUISES posts. Peace, Trumpy arsehole.

1 Like

Most of the liberate us from our lives rallies have been kind of small, but… There are going to be a bunch of little spikes wherever all these fools go back too.

https://twitter.com/TitusNation/status/1252085083617366017

I’m grunching, but I assume you want a range of opinions. First, I don’t envy your position. I think there are a few perspectives:

1. If the person I loved most in the world was about to go work in an ER, I’d want to kidnap them and stop it from happening.

2. If she feels compelled to go help people, I totally understand that.

3. If she’s scared and doesn’t want to, that’s okay too.

As a result I’d be uncomfortable advising her, and I think I might tell her only she can decide and that I’d do everything I could to support her regardless. My one thing would be that she’s not allowed to consider money whatsoever. But if she chose to go to work, I’m not sure I could stop myself from trying to talk her out of it.

I don’t think dedicating X years before this and Y years after it to helping people via medical work means you have to risk your life right now, if you don’t want to take that chance.

3 Likes

It’s a worrying time of asthmatics, but will’s post in the locked thread gives us less to worry about. Some speculation follows as to why this might be.

Having said that, if you can survive without financial ruination then depending what infection rates are like where you are I’d strongly consider taking some time off unless it’s her calling and she’s devoted to her job.

2 Likes

Amazing - looks like it might not be quite as bad as some have been saying, at least for those fortunate enough not to live under terrible governments.

1 Like

Unfortunately if I’m reading it right, they have asthma at 0% among COVID-19 patients. There’s just no way that’s the case, it most likely means they weren’t listing it as a potential comorbidity or something.

That said, I’ve come to be far more worried about my weight than my asthma. It seems like being overweight is a major comorbidity, and likely increases the risk of it going to the lungs in the first place.

If/when we do a partial reopening, even if I think it’s somewhat safe, I’m not leaving the house much until I finish dropping enough weight.

1 Like

That’s the post I was looking for instead of the one I found.

Diabetes is correlated with being overweight so the latter on its own may not mean much if you’re reasonably fit and exercise regularly. Weren’t people saying they thought asthmatics may be better equipped against this virus?

This reminds me of something I read early on about the spread in Wuhan. People who were totally isolated in their apartments were catching it, and they presumed it was spreading within the building either through air vents or pipes. Probably had to do with the HVAC.

Yeah and it’s worth pointing out the definition of “meaningful city” here. If you ignore Mandurah and Bunbury, which are really just satellite cities of Perth, the closest city of even 35,000+ people is Adelaide, a 28 hour drive away.

Trivia: The A-League, which is Australia’s top-level soccer competition, includes a team from Wellington, New Zealand. There to Perth is the largest distance between two teams in the same sporting league in the world. It’s 3270 miles as the crow flies and if there were direct flights, which there aren’t, the flying time would be 7 to 8 hours.

2 Likes

Presumably they’re based in Australia during the season, and the Wellington nomenclature is more an indication of their roots?

Nope. They fly back and forth all season. Home games in Wellington.

You need to play high enough to be able to fully focus, and low enough to be able to fully pull the trigger at all the right times. Of course, there can also be adjustments - like if there’s a game that’s too big for me to pull the trigger but it’s got 3 whales, I can nit it up and make a great hourly. But you have to be smart about it and not back yourself into corners strategically if that’s your plan.

My guess is <5% of live pros are properly rolled, and most of the ones who can pull the trigger despite that are able to do so for all the wrong reasons.

There’s also a little trick/skill to being able to steel yourself to pull the trigger in the moment even if you aren’t quite ready.

3 Likes

Nope. I normally book a house in February for the WSOP, obviously haven’t booked it and can’t imagine feeling safe enough to go. The WSOP would be like a tailor made COVID-19 super spreading zone.

My guess is they end up moving it to the fall, if possible, and cutting it down to ~15 events with a focus on higher buyin, small field events.

Read another interview with a professor for radiology and how the infection shows up on the pictures from CT and so on. Seriously gtfo with herd immunity. In the first weeks I was like “would be good be infected and be asymptomatic” but he said the lungs show morbid changes even on asymptomatic people. They are also surprised how early these changes are visible when people still just have a sore throad and are coughing. You feel good despite your lungs are already in pretty bad shape. He said people can show up to the emergency room and have to be intubated just 30 mins later.

People who thought going for herd immunity without knowing what the virus does are playing russian roulette with more than just one bullet in the chambers.

Its in german unfortunately. Maybe you find similar stuff in english.

1 Like

That must put them at a huge disadvantage but I don’t suppose they have much choice.

True about diabetes, I’ve never been diagnosed or had any major symptoms but I wouldn’t be surprised if I was pre-diabetic. One of my first thoughts about my personal quarantine was to make the most of the time to work on my health and fitness, so I’m going hard in that regard anyway.

As for asthma, I think the analysis was done on a Chinese report that either had 0% or N/A for asthma in people with COVID-19 or who died of it. Not sure of the exact details, but 0% makes me think it just wasn’t screened for. Seems impossible that asthma confers immunity.

I also recall pulling up the first report from China that was translated and searching for the word asthma and finding it 0 times.

So my common sense guess is someone read that, assumed it was screened for, assigned it a value of 0, and in the Internet medical community game of telephone, some details fell through the cracks.

Obviously it’s impossible to say for sure how similarly other respiratory viruses behave to COVID-19, but normal colds move into my lungs a really high percentage of the time, either in the form of bronchitis or a weeks-long cough.

It’s not that bad, they have to make the Australia - New Zealand trip much more than everyone else, but there’s games once a week, so they have plenty of time to recover between games. The trip to Wellington that everyone else has to make is just as tough, so they have impressive home field advantage.

Also this underlines the isolation of Perth, they are in the same position as Wellington, the trip to Adelaide (their closest neighbour) is a 3 to 3.5 hour flight. Look at NZ and Australia on Google Maps and you’ll see what I mean. Perth just has desert between them and Australia rather than ocean.

I’m really curious to hear more about this, which test triggered it, etc. That’s right around the time I got sick with a weird cold that lasted a while. What part of NJ is she in? I’m quite curious if there was significant community spread in the Philly/South Jersey region dating back to late February.

Hopefully if she actually tested positive it was from 2/20 and she’s in the clear!