COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

Yes and yes, probably.

If it was really exponential, we be following the orange line, which would mean we’d have a billion cases at the end of next week, which obviously isn’t possible.

Untitled

Yeah, I don’t believe those numbers, but I’m thinking if it were truly a bloodbath, the numbers in the lie would be higher.

“Obviously”?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1251631637567361027

1 Like

If it turns out that the numbers are waaaaay off and we actually have 10’s of millions of cases right now, then that would suggest that it’s much less lethal than we thought.

On a completely unrelated note, did you guys know that toxoplasmosis infects a third of the entire human population? That’s pretty crazy, that’s like 3 billion people. I just learned about it the other day.

I learned today that 1/4 of the world population has tuberculosis. That’s insane to me. I thought it was eradicated back with like polio and mumps. 90% that have it aren’t aware. But for that 10% that get sick, it’s deadly. 1.5 million deaths in 2018.

1 Like

My dad caught tuberculosis when I was a kid, he came out okay, mom and I tested negative.

Boy, the tuberculosis wiki page is some nightmare fuel, right? Official WHO global health emergency since 1993. Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis seems like something we should be worried about? I knew TB was still around from personal experience and my morbid interest in these kinds of things, but you could be forgiven for thinking that TB was only a problem back in the cowboy days.

But yeah, a lot of these diseases we’ve been sleeping on in the first world have been going buck wild in Asia and Africa. I’ve told you guys about how measles is devastating the Congo and no one is talking about that. At some point we as a species need to get our shit together and realize that we can’t just wall ourselves off from these diseases and let the third world fester.

10 Likes

@BestOf

1 Like

Random semi-derail, but I was reading some chin-stroking data nerd speculation the other day that 2020 polling could be thrown off b/c bored, quarantined folks are actually taking the time to answer their phones and talk to pollsters.

1 Like

Yeah. But most people are idiots. You gotta think science has fewer than most places.

Man, watching some of these entertainers do their thing rawdog without mixing or post-processing or backup singers or whatever is so great. Elton John going HAM with his kids’ basketball hoop and his weird-ass bonsai tree in the background is fucking excellent. It’s gritty, it’s emotive. Better than the studio version, can we get this sort of thing after the corona goes away? i will 100% watch Elton jam out while his kids shoot hoops, this is the most authentic entertainment people have seen in ages. .

https://twitter.com/imstillstannin/status/1251674745126498304?s=20

8 Likes

https://www.loudersound.com/amp/news/pink-floyd-to-begin-streaming-full-concerts-during-lockdown

4 Likes

I caught the Stones tonight all playing together from different locations. Damn Jagger is looking like a really young 76 going on 77 soon.

1 Like

Thank you so much, this is great.

Starts right off with Breathe, a top 3 song of theirs for me.

1 Like

That drummer looked 90.

Yikes. I really thought Western Europe would have done a much better job than they have. Especially Sweden. It seems like incompetence in politics is pretty much universal, even in progressive countries.

All I know of Sir Elton John is the stuff I’ve heard on the radio; who is this madman here pounding on the keys barrelhouse-style and belting out a song about how he’s still standing? it feels very real and evocative to me.

My main man Sir Paul McCartney kind of made a hash of it, though. No feeling at all, filmed it in vertical. Oof. By god, a proper solo piano version of Lady Madonna or Hey Bulldog with some of that Elton John energy would really fucking hit the spot right now. Whatever, I still stan him for life.

2 Likes

The new Families First Coronavirus Response Act made it mandatory for employers of less than 500 employees to give up to 10 weeks of paid FMLA to any employee that needs to take off to care for children due to school closings. Even if this fits her situation, I would take another route. I would apply for unemployment if I was her. Select ‘lack of work’ as the reason. Claims are not affecting Oklahoma employer tax rates during the emergency, and no decent employer would think of fighting it right now. The downside is it could make her employer mad at her and they could fire her for applying.

1 Like

Just watching this now, Stones are fucking killing it. Not as good as Elton, tho. All these geezers jamming out in their living rooms, it’s so great.

Wouldn’t say the Stones killed it when the drummer didn’t have drums.

That is Elton John. An absolutely epic performer. If you have a chance to see him on his farewell tour, do it.

4 Likes