Council of Captains Discussion Thread

Nah, Jmakin is just makin…g a memorable and dramatic exit.

Do you think the person poking fun at clovis expected him to take it easy, or was he hoping for the exact reaction he got?

I have my guesses.

That’s the Goofyballer I know and love. Ah well.

more towards the former

Right. I mean I just went back and read Keeed’s proposal and he was like “animosity in the forum is on the rise, so anyway here is my proposal to create whole new subforums and blah blah”.

Animosity in the forum is on the rise because it is not moderated against strongly enough. Like it’s hilarious that there was this whole massive thread on “can we use the c-word, is it too naughty” when a guy like watevs is swinging through threads like Tarzan essentially calling people c-words, paraphrased, in every other post. I don’t really know why this is tolerated but it appears to be this autistic insistence on the application of “rules”, rather than just having mods with the capacity to spot people consistently being assholes and doing something about it. “Horizontal moderation” sounds to me like a recipe for more dithering and weakness in moderation.

6 Likes

Just to clarify, captains is not a replacement/etc for here. It’s my personal site i just made up. I plan on migrating my long running dog turned sportsball blog thread there from 2+2. I’d don’t allow free-form arguing about politics, religion, or pluto.

What it could be is a place to communicate without this BS that just happened happening, and a way to keep in touch with those suffering under bans. All UnStuckers, excepting current officers, are welcome.

This place is the most weirdly moderated site I’ve ever been on in my entire time on the internet. You’re exactly right in how the "insistence on rules " has broken down. The need to try and make everyone happy all the time is this weird insincere “work family” like bit.

It’s been very clear for a long time a lot of posters here do not like this community nor many, if any of the posters and came from 2p2 to act in the same disparaging ways they did there. And we let it go on for well over a year.

3 Likes

not really. Limited only by your imagination, I suppose. Everyone knows I think ikes is an asshole.

Right, like while everyone else is having a complaint about moderation I may as well also have a go, I very rarely report posts or any of that malarkey but on June 6 I PM’d Wookie quoting this post:

My message was this:

Why is this guy not just banned? He’s made like 1000 threads unreadable and never improved a single one. Just ban him and ignore anyone who complains about it.

Wookie’s reply:

I was so ??? about this that I just rolled my eyes and dropped it. There just seems to be a total obliviousness to the idea of patterns of behaviour, or to the idea of being more tolerant of transgressions from people who generally make good contributions to the forum. It seems instead like every post is considered in a vacuum.

Did he run back to delete anything? (actually asking)

He was the one who invited everybody in to the thread. There’s a whole hilarious bit stretching hundreds of posts. He drops shrooms and starts inviting everybody and we do a mock OH NOEZ THERE GOES THE SECRET CLUBHOUSE WHO GAVE KED THE DRUGS. It’s literally his idea to make it public, which is why I don’t think Jmakin should get that much flak for this.

It’s awfully unkind of you to state things in this fashion, as if you were stretching to find some dirt, couldn’t, but are clever enough to make the well-it-must-have-been-deleted-then gambit.

Also, is it unkind of Ked to accurately describe those two people? Is that actually the root of all of this, that people think being kind means being cloyingly fake?

3 Likes

I deleted any of my posts that didn’t add substantially to the thread. Not because they were SUPER JUICY, lol, you saw the thread (along with fifty other people).

1 Like

Watevs is legit one of my favorite posters and I get a thrill every time I see that bright turquoise W so, um, we might be in a little agree-to-disagree situation here.

Aw sheeit if it’s all coming undone… Did you happen to notice my posts about theory-of-mind and the sally-anne-test and notice what big subsection fails at them?

I think there was a section of 100 or so posts I didn’t get around to reading. Maybe that was where all the juice was.

It was brutal. You can see it here.

https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/covid-19-chapter-8-vax-populi-masks-off-you-lie/4761/4873?u=caffeineneeded

Seriously though what the fuck is pretty much all I got to say. Y’all have major issues.

2 Likes

That was before I was invited but I went back and read it later and those posts were right after they were discussing what ‘trolling’ actually means and what it describes, which, you know… Man, this is some rough sailing.

Do you think we should have a 10,000 post thread to achieve consensus on this, or are you more of the view that a little “horizontal moderation” will resolve this? If we talk enough I’m sure we can come to agreement on whether watevs is a good poster or the most obviously ban-overdue poster on the forum. One thing is for sure, under no circumstances should either of us just learn to live with moderation we don’t like.

4 Likes

They’re just guesses. Mine is he wanted to have fun with someone who he thinks takes himself too seriously. I doubt he expected such a violent reaction.

Which issues would those be?

I don’t know how doctoring works, like, do you get a minor in something, like a college degree, so you can have like a minor in psychology or something to go along with the ERing or what?

You are Ikestoys.

5 Likes

Where do you stand on the question of mods banning people for long periods, having the ban overturned after a vote, doubling down on the correctness of the ban and then weeks later admitting in a side thread they got it all wrong but failing to apologise?

This being a mod it’s effectively impossible to remove by vote because 70% of the forum will back him whatever.

1 Like

I don’t get it. And I really do want to get it.