Council of Captains Discussion Thread

Damn, sorry. Wishing you and your wife the best.

3 Likes

Btw the way I knew about this is this showed up in my notifications after the original thread was opened this morning:

Seems kinda ironic that I was quoted in what was essentially a private subforum, spurring a short discussion about me. But a few of the key participants are still having fainting spells about their own personal privacy.

For the record I was asked to participate in a thread a lot like CoC with the goal of starting a new forum - and declined.

I’m not saying that it was intentional. But I am saying some posters are trying to use the second transgression to completely absolve the first.

And also that the existence of the PM thread was leaking out anyway. Anyone who expects to keep a secret with 50 people is deluding themselves.

Ok but who are those people and who is yadi

So that screenshot was from the original CoC thread?

Thin_Slicing

3 Likes

I mean it was nothing bad. I posted more or less the exact same thing publicly directed to you. Actually the public version was meaner, I told you to go fuck yourself. I was wrong and I apologized to you.

Were there any posts to the effect of “Hey Fidget that’s not cool”?

Maybe I imagined it but it sure looked like some of the people accused of trolling the mod thread for the last year were admitting and bragging about it.

2 Likes

The original thread seemed pretty shitty to me any way you slice it. It was basically “We don’t like the rules and mod decisions, but we can’t win in the endless public debate on the subject, so let’s strategize on our own how to bend the forum to be what we want. Or destroy it if we can’t get what we want (at least for some).”

I mean if there’s any forum on earth where mod decisions are discussed openly and ad infinitum it’s this one. I don’t see the need for a private thread to discuss anything constructive that couldn’t be discussed in pubic. It feels more like coordinating strategy to me.

3 Likes

By “bend the forum to be what we want” do you mean open a subforum with independent moderation that will strive to change the culture of posting to a more open and friendly style? Because I guess those two formulations aren’t completely at odds with each other but yours is a pretty uncharitable reading.

5 Likes

He literally bragged about instigating a fight between Wookie and CN. That is the definition of trolling.

2 Likes

Nah. I don’t care if all my pms are published either except for the need to redact some personal info and email addresses/ telephone numbers.

I have no particular like or dislike for you. I just hope you note that JT’s posts attacking you don’t get many likes. They seem a bit unhinged.

I still feel like I comprehend maybe 50% of what’s going on in this thread.

1 Like

The 233288 mod threads aren’t open enough for you?

It was almost the exact opposite of that. Instead of bending the forum to be what we want, we wanted to create something else (a subforum) that reflects what we want. I jokingly posted about a coup and was immediately jumped on and told we should make the subforum or make a new forum instead.

1 Like

Why couldn’t you guys have just done what the topshot people did and just made a discord? It’s much smoother and doesn’t look super weird and shady and you don’t give people you don’t like to begin with access to your thoughts.

I don’t know about exact opposite. Seems like these guys just wanted a private subforum instead of a new forum.

But yeah you didn’t start it to strategize changing the main forum. So it was definitely different.

This kerfuffle may end up killing unstuck and you’ll get your wish.

Being ignored or demeaned comes with the territory if your desire is to push heterodox ideas. If you want a forum where you are not pushed back against, then you don’t want to live in the real world.

I’ve always been a lonely figure with a unique perception of the world around me and I’ve built up a tolerance to being disagreed with that makes me emotionally equipped to fight a war of one vs all, if necessary, for the things I believe in. I don’t expect to win when that happens, but I insist on being true to myself and accepting the consequences.

Politics, like religion, is such an intimately personal thing that it’s hard not to take a firm rejection of your politics as a personal rejection of yourself. Maybe it’s sociopathic, but some people need to learn how to disassociate their politics from their self if they want to participate in a place like this.

2 Likes