Coronavirus (COVID-19)

He also claims that there are 1.5 million “confirmed” NCOV cases. I find it highly unlikely that they could have even scaled up fast enough to test anywhere near 1.5 million cases, let alone having 1.5 million confirmed. This is almost certainly fake news.

2 Likes

CCN is Alex Jones-grade fake news.

1 Like

So like what is the applicable law here w.r.t. false imprisonment vs. power to quarantine?

Obviously country dependent. The US has pretty draconian laws (which I agree with btw) where the CDC (which is delegated authority by the feds) is pretty much given a blank check to hold people, generally at home but held otherwise at the discretion of the CDC until they decide what to do with them. State, city and tribal law from what I know can be involved, but the feds have final say.

Since maybe the CDC is the only fed agency at this point that I would trust, I’m OK with it. Conditionally.

MM MD

2 Likes

That’s Alan Crumwiede’s website, right? Legit afaik.

NTSB?

Wengui made the bombshell allegations in an interview with former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon

uh huh

1 Like

over/under number of days til Assange’s name crops up?

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001316

the official name for this disease is “novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)–infected pneumonia (NCIP)” or NCP.

i’d prefer we change the thread title to not besmirch the great city of wuhan any further. considering all they’re going through i think they’re handling it exceptionally well. i respect the shit out of their “don’t leave your house” commitment to public health.

“captain trips” will also be acceptable

5 Likes

CCN.com appears to be a reliable news source

7 Likes

Bill Perkins shares it on twitter :unamused:

Who knows? There’s a reason why maritime lawyers get paid bank.They are few, far between, and never unemployed. It’s either maritime law or Japanese law so who knows.

If you were in charge, would you confine people to the ship with a resetting 14-day quarantine period? It seems like bad strategy to me and I’d probably try to evacuate to other controlled locations ASAP. Those interior rooms are tiny and would not be too unlike like solitary confinement. I don’t see any reason to necessarily believe contagion can be controlled on the ship either.

If the 14 days keeps extending, it’s a huge mindfuck for the passengers; I would even say inhumane. Suppose it gets to 30 days and there are still new cases appearing. Then it’s obviously a terrible mistake and will be treated like a hostage situation by the media. There will be pressure to evacuate and quarantine again with the prospect of some passengers being quarantined a third time on arrival at their home countries.

1 Like

In a perfect world, I’d use what we were planning if Ebola hit years ago (we had no idea what the possibilities were early on) - I’d take everyone off the ship, sequester them where ever - we were going to use military tents holding 20 or so (as I recall) in each and if they were having any signs of symptoms (fever/cough) pull them out to a hospital bed. One of the problems is that the cruise ships have become so goddam huge that you’re suddenly dealing with 5k + people - and a high percentage of them are elderly/have significant comorbidities. I think it might have been helpful to hold on to that group and keep them on the ship, and park the crew/“normal” passengers with the theory that the majority of them will do fine even if they get sick, so a goddam Motel 6 room would be OK unless they worsened. Then move the people on the ship to a hospital if they’re getting sicker. But TBH, I don’t think there’s an easy/good solution, and I’d be interested to see down the road how epidemiologists will attack the problem - I could be completely wrong about this. But I’d guess there isn’t a way you could increasing the spread of something like a Coronavirus outbreak more efficiently than these mega-cruise ships - cause it seems to be EXACTLY what happens with norovirus.

MM MD

1 Like

Bill Perkins is just another dumb libertarian. People seem to think his opinion matters because he has money.

2 Likes

Or we could just stop doing cruise ships because they are terrible for the environment… And death traps in an epidemic.

1 Like

I was surprised how much worse in terms of environmental impact cruises vs. flying were, although a lot of the numbers were sketchy - IE taking the cruise ship fuel numbers at the maximum for speed, which is VERY dependent on what exactly the boat is doing - my wife and I took one from SF to Ensenada a few years ago and I’d guess we were idling at least half the time - it took a “day” to travel from Santa Barbara to LA, and the same from LA to San Diego. We kind of enjoyed it, but haven’t been in any sort of hurry to go again - and as I referenced above the “New” ships are fucking awful.

Killing time at my national meeting a few years ago I wandered into the “Cruise Ship Medicine” section of my specialty. I thought it was 1) very interesting and 2) gave me a profound desire to NEVER think about taking one of those jobs.

MM MD

Looks like 92 more dead today. Probably be over 100+ per day over at least the next two or three weeks before the deaths start to slow down, assuming the reported slow down in number of infections is actually real.

There are 8 flights per day from China to africa.

Zero identified cases.

4 Likes