Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Hey.

MM MD

5 Likes

So he’s dead again? Or is this the same report that was being disputed?

I saw a link itt saying he wasn’t dead and this just posted on AP so I linked it here to let you guys know his status

Yeah looks like he is dead. That article is pretty depressing. A newborn has been infected and hospitals in Wuhan are so overrun that they are turning people away. Feels to me like we are sticking our heads in the sand and pretending things are improving, but what do I know.

1 Like

Oooof. That’s accurate.

Thank you. That makes sense.

I’m so confused

Your Guardian link is updated. Confirmed dead

Dead at 34 years old. So much for just kills the elderly. And if a young, high profile case – who would surely get the best possible care – is dead then it seems unlikely that the 2% mortality rate is overstated.

Like, how many ventilators are there in Wuhan? How many ICU beds? They have to be completely overwhelmed. People are probably being turned away from the hospitals and dying at home. Are those cases being counted?

It’s a sample of one and there’s nothing about being a doctor that makes it impossible to have asthma or a heart condition or any of the bunch of other things that max out your risk. Even being a heavy smoker is probably bad news (I sincerely think this thing will kill me if I get it).

It obviously doesn’t prove anything but a 34-year-old high profile case getting state-of-the-art treatment dying is a disturbing piece of data from a Bayesian inference perspective.

2 Likes

Well I have it on good authority from dozens of boomers over on the Bogleheads forum that this is a big nothing burger.

As an aside, the mods over there delete any posts showing concern about the virus and potential impacts while they leave up dozens of posts making light of it, even when those posts contain misinformation. I’m not sure if there is an agenda behind that, or they’re just stupid.

1 Like

dumb finance bros? impossible

1 Like

I continue to maintain that this is not bad. This is BAD. I base that not on the anecdotal evidence coming out of China. I base that on the actions that the Chinese Government are taking. The Chinese Government does not do what they are doing if this was merely bad. They only do this if this is BAD.

4 Likes

My dad told me he won’t worry unless China starts nuking their own cities

Boomers gonna boom.

1 Like

[spend the first 50 years of your life worried about nuclear war]

pandemic approaches: [worry about nuclear war.]

2 Likes

Welp this is making me a lil nervous for my wife giving birth in a few weeks. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Round up for quarantine camps

yikes