Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Those numbers seem… unlikely.

Yes, overwhelmingly likely to be garbage.

2nd. This podcast is always highly informative.

To counter those scary numbers above, this Reuters article speculates that the lack of hospital space in Wuhan is causing cases to be severely undercounted while deaths would be relatively accurate, causing the reported mortality rate to be much higher than reality.

“It’s good to remember that when H1N1 influenza came out in 2009, estimates of case fatality were 10 percent,” said David Fisman, an epidemiologist at the University of Toronto, who was working in public health at the time. “That turned out to be incredibly wrong.”

A huge problem with mortality rates is that people who wind up getting mild symptoms may not even bother going to a hospital and getting counted.

1 Like

Wouldn’t expect any of these ingredients to make you sleepy but I guess it helped your cough? They also might formulate it in booze for all I know

Current cases per Johns Hopkins is 24,631. That’s close enough to the ‘deaths’ figure there for me to suspect ‘current known cases’ got mistranscribed as ‘deaths’ and some other figure - projected totals, target for containment efforts, something like that - got mistranscribed as ‘current cases’.

At least I hope so.

3 Likes

Number of infections on cruise ship moored off of Japan.

Under here

3 Likes

10 more cases on the cruise ship from Japan. Good thing they quarantined that ship, it really could have been disastrous considering the passengers are from everywhere.

However there is another case in Japan of a man who deals with tourists and had not been to China recently. This could be troubling.

the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota has identified 153 critical lifesaving drugs for all types of diseases frequently used in the United States, without which patients would die within hours. All are generic and many, or their active pharmaceutical ingredients, are manufactured in China. Sixty-three are already unavailable to pharmacies on short notice or on shortage status under normal circumstances

2 Likes

Not that it’s ok to kill old people, but definitely a big relief if it’s not a lot of little kids dying here.

Total infections doubling every 4 days instead of 3.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/02/06/104d0532-4869-11ea-8124-0ca81effcdfb_story.html

Chinese doctor Li Wenliang died Thursday night after contracting the coronavirus at his workplace, Wuhan Central Hospital. He became a national hero and a symbol of the Chinese government’s failings after friends reported that he sought to sound warnings about the new coronavirus on Dec. 30.

2 Likes

If it’s less deadly than feared. Why are doctors dying? Doctors dont often die from the flu…

Now he’s not dead?

Depending on a paranoid totalitarian regime for our information is kind of wild.

1 Like

Probably because the vaccination rate, especially in any sort of patient care type of Facility for a doc is close to 100% - in our facility unless you have a legit allergy “no I don’t wanna sort of crap” your options are get the shot or you’re barred from the hospital until the ID department declares the flu season over. This year, that would be 4-5 months of no work.

Private practice docs don’t have that sort of requirement, but they’re also not fucking morons. I’d bet 90% minimum compliance - and they can start Tamiflu also, something we don’t have for Coronavirus (or at least not vetted)

Vaguely analogous situation at most.

MM MD

6 Likes

My main worry is that there are “no” cases in Africa or South America. I find that hard to believe.

6 Likes

Have you met many old people?

3 Likes