Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m really curious to see what ESPN and AM radio sports yambag shows do for 2020. I don’t see how the industry avoids a colossal downswing.

2 Likes

A little bit. I feel confident that we won’t blow through hospital capacity nationwide, only in a handful of cities. That’s going to be really bad, but we’ll survive it and the fact that other cities won’t be hit as hard does give us a fighting chance to offload some stable patients and maybe, just maybe, do better than Italy in those cities. Everywhere else will be somewhere in between South Korea and Italy IMO, and probably way closer to South Korea.

But it’s going to be a weird, surreal year. Like, until we die, we’ll be telling kids and grandkids and such stories about that year that we had no sports events… Stuff like that.

I’m also slightly more concerned about supply chains now than I was a few days ago, but in reality I think it’s a good thing - there’s not really more reason to be worried about it, I’ve just freed up some of my worrying capacity and can now think about it. I’ve flattened the curve of my worrying.

3 Likes

I’m already living it bro. They’ve opened up the phone lines and it’s just call after call from Dr. Boomer, Medicine Deplorable telling us about how it’s no big deal because of that one time he got the flu and was fine in three days and people should stop overreacting and MSM is bad.

7 Likes

Nobody hearted that post yet but I just know I saved somebody’s life who was thinking, “Ok I’m stocked up on potatoes but there was no fresh broccoli at the store… If I eat a forkful a day that’d be enough of The Vitamins though right?”

1 Like

Aren’t ESPN’s revenues mostly locked in from cable companies?

How many platforms do you have left that you aren’t banned on?

I may have taken one or two multivitamins in my post Flintstone’s Chewables life.

My guess is that it’s going to be like a series of waves, each one with a lower peak. The key is not getting overconfident if we get through the first one without going over capacity, and also not going too draconian for too long. If we manage it well, and I think most of the country will from here forward, it’ll be a weird year but we’ll get through it. Young people will mostly live normal lives, but with no crowds. Old people, especially with underlying issues, may have to stay inside more and young people will help them out.

It’ll suck in some ways, but having seen the cliff we almost went over, I think we’ll adjust mentally and be ok.

My big concern right now is for those first several cities that put their lockdown measures on too late… I’m also concerned the next wave of cities won’t have done quite enough. But I’m pretty confident we’re not going to hit Italy level nationwide.

A balanced diet:

5 Likes

They have food like that in England?

2 Likes

Yeah I was telling my kid that they’ll be talking about this the rest of their life. I mean some of us are still talking about The Blizzard of `78 and that only shut down one city for about a week.

Oh yea you bet.

When the US wades through shit we follow.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1238485355998973953

Here and I guess I’m not technically banned from 22 other than OOT Band Camp

For me it was Mt. St. Helens. Cooler than a snow storm.

Also, I was in the DC area in ‘78 and I think I got that snowstorm. 3’ of snow, which is a lot for that area.

This is obviously the key. On reflection I am not confident that this will be the case, as I think the company involved will do everything it can to maximise what it can take from parents and minimise what it will pay to employees. Given I can’t really influence it I’m not sure I want to the take the time to find out what each of those is, and thus whether I’m still supportive of this development.

Oh and if anything Lebatard the GOAT’s show may be even better now. Usually it’s just him goofing on Stugotz et al and also talking sports but now it’s just goofing on everyone. I’d love to see him back on his own and not part of ESPN again. His local Miami show back in the day was even better.

1 Like

Wouldnt this require people to go to the store and purchase new clothes?

Also, Red and Blue might not be the best options, especially in some parts of the country.

Bonsonaro, maybe Trump, now this fucker:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminEW/status/1238457017452421121

The Day of Judgement is upon us.

2 Likes