Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just got the first message from my restaurant about the coronavirus. All food runners and bussers must wear gloves at all times. Thats it? What the hell. Yeah guys I fully expect us to do almost nothing but cut hours until we get shut down. I mean we literally use community water bottles because we’re environmentally conscious and want to save water and we haven’t washed them in a month because that’s when they fired the manager who used to organize it and they haven’t replaced him with anyone.

Took the tear-worthy step of canceling my AMC Stubs membership. Just seems reckless given air-borne transmission risk.

However, customer service offered me a free month, so I said sure, I will keep the membership and reassess next month. Smart offer.

When he first asked how he could help, I said, “I’m sad to be the first person today to ask to cancel my membership.”

He said, “You are not even the first person in the last 5 minutes!”

1 Like

front page of wsj.com shows the reaction to the fed’s announcement today was wiped out in like 40 minutes

That’s 116,000 people.

Imagine if Trump has been symptom-free and spreading the virus virulently to everyone around him for a week.

11 Likes

8 Likes

This is likely

Inshallah

5 Likes

I doubt he would stop spreading it even if he knew he had it. Just pretend it doesn’t exist and fire anyone who says otherwise. It’s gotten him through every other Trumpagion.

Deaths seems to be tripling every week roughly.

That is blend of slowdown in China and uncontrolled most other places.

Until this turns (2 weeks??) worldwide I’d guess it stays near that then maybe doubles for a week then 1.5.

So 4 weeks 3x3x2x1.5 x 5000=135,000.

Numbers pulled completely by intuition from 33 years of dealing with microbial growth rates. No reference. I hope it goes down quicker than that.

I would expect coming out of extreme social distancing, people go back to the office for a month with intense monitoring and then a decision is made about crowds.

Again just my gut*

2 Likes

CoronaTrump

He likes having his name on things

1 Like

My right hand guy flew to India yesterday for three weeks. Found out when landed they they had cancelled all visas. He is on flight back to Canada

2 Likes

Macron has announced the closure of all schools and universities in France from Monday. Was only this afternoon that the health minister was saying that was not something they’d do. That’s a bit typical Macron, though, he seems to love contradicting his government.

Actually it seems the lad might have had a come to Jesus moment, he ended by saying there are some things that should not be left to the laws of the market!

To file under “horribly risky behavior that shouldn’t be happening,” I’m on a flight from Mexico City to Atlanta right now, and on my flight there’s a big group (probably 50-60 people) on the plane of older indigenous people from Oaxaca who are making a double layover in Mexico City then Atlanta to the Midwest, where they will serve as cultural ambassadors for an event there this weekend, before returning to rural Oaxaca. The average age of this group is probably 65.

If there’s a cluster in Oaxaca after this, you can probably make a decent guess where it came from.

That really really sucks. In like a week all that kind of stuff might be banned. But they could get to be the last soldier shot before the war ends.

1 Like

Philadelphia to announce ban on crowds of 1,000 or more for SIX MONTHS!!! HOLY SHIT.

Philly encouraging residents to skip gatherings of 250 or more.

1 Like

Good, hopefully they permanently disband the Phillies.

4 Likes

I guess they learned their lesson from the 1918 parade.

2 Likes

So Biden can still have rallies?

ba dum bum

21 Likes

TBF at this point it’s very plausible the decision is entirely in line with market interests, so I’d imagine he’s just saying that for the sake of saying it.