Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Can they jam any more people up on the stage there? So much for social distancing.

Massachusetts has just declared a state of emergency as well

Hope you didn’t get your TP here:

I wouldn’t necessarily call a journal crap just because one crap article gets through. Now if there’s a pattern of fuckups, that’s another thing.

Time out for a sec on the “go straight to the hospital” advice. Guidance from public health is to contact your doctor if you have the symptoms, and don’t go to the ER unless you think you’re dying. Otherwise you’re just taking your germs and spreading them around where they can do the most damage.

This is from Yolo County Health and Human Services (the county Davis is in, where Yuv said they are).

Sick Persons:

1. Everyone should stay home if they are sick until they have had no fever, cough or other respiratory symptoms for at least 72 hours after symptoms resolve or 7 days after symptoms began, whichever is longer.
  2. Individuals with cold-like symptoms should manage their symptoms at home with over-the-counter drugs whenever possible, regardless of whether they have a cold, the flu, or COVID-19.
  3. Individuals who develop difficulty breathing, feel extremely tired, or were feeling better but then feel a lot worse should call their health care provider. If they will be going to the provider’s office or urgent care center, they should call ahead so that the health care provider can be prepared to take care of them.
  4. People should only call 911 or go to an emergency department if they believe that their life is in imminent danger. Other emergencies are still occurring, and emergency resources must be available to address all of them, not just COVID-19.

https://www.yolocounty.org/Home/Components/News/News/10547/26?backlist=%2Fhealth-human-services

7 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/windsorknot/status/1237147292831854592

:point_up_2: Happening right now…

8 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1237443673157177344

No worries all it will all be over by juaugust

You’re likely at risk, but I doubt 8%.

You’re going to be put in the basket with COPD/asthma, but (I assume) you have “standard” asthma, not a 4-pack-a-day of Camels history, with PFT’s that are dogshit every day of their lives and a couple of other risk factors stacked on top. Those people are basically at deaths door every day of their life, and any sort of stressor ( viral infection) will do them in.

Not that I’d take any non-essential plane trips, or stand in line at Costco with the guy blowing his nose on the TP wrappers…

MM MD

4 Likes

One strike and you’re out of my library. Too much to read already

If there was one person I’d ever think was a Westworld bot it’s fucking Pence.

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/1237420695166111745

I agree with the last part, but knowing where it is and in what numbers would be helpful, as it would help local authorities prepare for the peak and know when it’s coming, and it would help people make educated decisions on when to take the strongest precautions. Maybe I could still be working a few days a week, and it won’t be necessary to lock down for a couple more weeks… As a result I could end up locked down way longer than necessary, because in the absence of any information I’m just locking down now.

What I’m saying is that if he has a fever of over 102 degrees and he’s having difficulty breathing, it’s not a call your primary care doc for an appointment situation, it’s a life threatening situation. He should definitely call first to let them know he’s coming and thinks he has it.

Post flagging yellow bellies itt

1 Like

I would consider it standard, cough when I exercise or when it’s cold, etc, but when I get upper respiratory problems they often move down into my lungs. I used to get bronchitis like once a year, and it always ended in a dry cough deep in my lungs that required prednisone to get rid of.

I assume that means my risk of this moving down into my lungs would be high, and from there I’d likely need O2 in a hospital, which may be an issue depending on how prepared Philly is.

I think it’s reasonable to think that with proper treatment my risk is below 8% since that is in the basket w/ COPD and worse asthma, as well as older people with those problems… But we have no data on that, so I don’t know if that means 6.5% or 2%…

Yeah, no plane trips and no live poker for now (which is my work). Live poker in general seems right up there with standing in line next to a guy coughing, sneezing, etc. Since I am not going out to work, there’s really no need for me to go out unless I need food/supplies, so I’m staying put for a while.

If they come out with data that shows that the risk of death for young people with asthma is significantly lower than 8% and the hospitalization risk is low, too, then I’d adjust accordingly.

Hope you’re doing well and managing to avoid toilet paper wrapper nose blowers in your quick trips in and out of stores and such!

If I didn’t know how annoying it is for mods to get random flagged posts, I’d sarcastically flag this post.

1 Like

There’s a difference between being mad at them and not buying or going out of your way to read them and generally not believing things because they are published there.

Grunching because this thread has exploded, but just a reminder: 3 weeks ago today there were exactly 3 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Italy.

:face_with_thermometer:

I really doubt asthma alone puts you at a 8% chance of dying from this.

3 Likes

I don’t view the Lancet as a credible source of scientific information. They could publish true things but how can I know if they publish anything