Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I can’t access that article. Do you mind telling me what it says about high blood pressure? I’m wondering if I am at a heightened risk if I have minor high blood pressure that is well controlled by medication? Or are they only talking about untreated high blood pressure?

Large department meeting canceled at my hospital because of corona virus fears. CIO says he’ll reschedule for next month

#yeahok

I can’t believe it’s taken this long to start seeing this.

https://twitter.com/mattwrighttv/status/1237447037504892928?s=19

1 Like

Italy was the country that inspired everybody else to act quickly. Containing people was the time needed to prepare for more drastic measures from other countries. Italy didn’t have the privilege of knowing it was coming in advance. There were already a ton of people walking around with a ticking time bomb that they didn’t know they were wearing. There was little Italy could do to stop this.

I agree. What, if anything, has the US done to stop this that Italy didn’t do?

Well I thought we might all be working remotely, but the big action item so far from my companies coronavirus team was to hang up posters on symptoms and hand washing, and pass out “pens” with 10 ml of hand sanitizer. PROBLEM SOLVED

Hopefully not. But that’s the only data I’ve seen on underlying respiratory illness, including asthma. Eagerly awaiting more accurate info, because it makes a pretty big difference in my calculus whether it’s like 6, 4%, 1% or lower for me.

I have allergies as well, and the article JT posted mentions allergies as a risk factor, which I hadn’t seen before. I’m also overweight and wouldn’t be shocked if I had pre-diabetes, I’ve never been checked out for it. I did have high cholesterol a few years back, too. I haven’t seen anything about cholesterol or weight, but I’m sure when you start stacking that stuff up it’s not doing me any favors here.

On the other hand, I coincidentally went mostly vegetarian a couple weeks ago, so that might help a tad (and should help me to improve the weight, cholesterol, and risk of diabetes in the future).

Can I interest you in a payroll tax cut?

14 Likes

Thanks. I don’t think I’m at much more of an elevated risk with my minor and well controlled high blood pressure. That’s what I’m telling myself, anyway.

1 Like

The one thing that might benefit America in terms of how fast it spreads is its low population density. Italy’s population density is 6 times higher than America’s. So that’s more human interaction in everyday life for those living in Italy than America. You might counter by saying that the cities are densely populated and that is true. However, they’re nothing compared to cities in Europe. City dwellers in America still won’t be in contact with more people than those in Italy.

A 500 fold increase in coronavirus in America over 3 weeks would be extraordinary given the size of the country. Sure, there’ll be a huge increase over the next 3 weeks but not by that much.

No mention of difficulty breathing:

Also, I can’t find any specific guidelines about temperature thresholds that qualify as “life threatening.” Can you?

I think the point here is, if you’re sick, call a qualified health professional, tell them your symptoms, and they’ll guide you appropriately (potentially including hang up and call 911).

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1237514306285178880?s=19

Every time I see somebody acting cool by arrogantly downplaying the coronavirus, I quietly hope that they get it.

5 Likes

This Lyft driver decided he doesn’t need time off

Lyft

9 Likes

1 Like

He decided he needs to buy food and pay rent. That’s the choice millions will be forced to make.

3 Likes

Watching the primary coverage coming on now you realize how wonderful thousands and thousands of people touching the same pens, tables, voting booths, screens, etc. is going to be for community spread.

The bubble boy!

4 Likes

I also read that it’s a good thing to have one of those fingertip 02 sensors handy. They cost between $30 and $55.

Somebody wrote that anything 90 or less is time to get to hospital. But I would probably just call my doctor if I was sick and it started falling and got below 95, since it always reads 99 right now.