Coronavirus (COVID-19)

USA#1

2 Likes

It turns out my friend in the hospital was moved from one ICU to another in the same building not bc the surgical unit he was in did not have negative pressure rooms available but bc that system isn’t working in those rooms and hadn’t in some time. I hear they are working on them now but come on that’s cutting it a little close when they will likely be seeing CV patients very soon. And this at what I’d expect is one of the premier facilities in the region.

A bit of an update

Still ¬25 tests per million is bad but it’s not 5 tests per million bad.

At 112 tests per million people, Czech Republic’s not great at testing either. However, the first case was only confirmed 10 days ago. Testing has been increasing dramatically over the last few days and with the first community spread case, it’ll definitely go up even more.

Phones probably blew up immediately after that article was posted

Same as flu, right. Troops always intervening in these pesky flus

Not tested many US citizens yet, unless they’ve got ‘Coronavirus’ written all over them but…

There were 804 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the US as of Tuesday afternoon, according to Johns Hopkins University in Maryland, which is tracking the outbreak.

1 Like

If they’re promising world class care and can show me some good data that we have some resistance to the virus once infected, I’ll do it for $250k.

Well it looks like we have plenty of capacity after all. We have tents!

tents?

lol no

1 Like

IIRC they have to do two test per person, so 8.000 „specimens“ is just 4.000 people.

1 Like

True. Czech Republic does the same to protect against false positives.

I imagine it’s the norm in many countries.

1 Like

Impressive.

Ok, but does The Lancet generally suck? I’ve heard of it basically all my life.

The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal. It is among the world’s oldest, most prestigious, and best known general medical journals.[1]

The journal was founded in 1823

According to the Journal Citation Reports , the journal has a 2017 impact factor of 53.254, ranking it second after The New England Journal of Medicine in the category “Medicine, General”.[4]

Austria called a state of emergency. All trains and planes to and from Italy are cancelled. You can only enter Austria from Italy by car with a medical certificate and have to quarantine for two weeks. All universities are closed. Schools stay open but have to preprare for a possible shutdown. Additionally all indoor gatherings of 100 or more people are cancelled, also all outdoor gatherings of 500+.
So far there are 193 confirmed cases and rising rapidly.

Reading the comments at The Athletic on a couple CV articles. Seems about 50/50 on people getting the seriousness of the situation. Up from about 10% a couple days ago.

Crikey!

6 Likes

They handled the mmr vaccine autism article about as poorly as they could.

They didn’t check for conflict of interest before it was published, even though the main author was part of a class action lawsuit against a drug company for the vaccine allegedly causing autism.

They accepted the article even though the number of cases was like 7 or 8. And that’s after throwing out several dozen cases for no reason other than the data didn’t tell the story he wanted to tell.

After scientists read it and pushed back on the shitty science, they didn’t retract the article and it took like a year until they finally did.

Idk if they changed their editor(s) since then but I’m of the attitude that they should have shut down completely. They blew it bigtime.

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidshepardson/status/1237449160833536002

Incoming briefing… :scream: