Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If the president has to be quarantined, you’d almost have to use the 25th Amendment, right? Like it would be almost like he was in surgery. Obviously this administration will never do that, they’ll just make the senior staff interact with him so he can keep POTUSing.

I assume he ran off and jumped into a vat of hand sanitizer. White House has about 500 gallons stockpiled for him to bathe in, no word what he plans to bathe in when that runs out tomorrow.

you think his friends and family wanted to interact with him before?

Caravaggio! Art history paying off?

3 Likes

It should be high capacity now with the two largest diagnostic testing companies having assays approved under emergency use authorization (EUA) that takes some time to acquire. LC/QD have the infrastructure and logistics in place in principle to test a lot of people.

Just found out today that somebody I had a conversation with early last week has been in voluntary quarantine since the day after I spoke to her. Apparently she had just returned from skiing in Italy when I saw her, but she wasn’t told to self-quarantine until the next day.

Probably nothing much to worry about as I was a few feet away at all times.

Several companies near my work in Cambridge are asking all employees to work from home. We are supposed to get an announcement soon, which I hope will be the same for us.

Let’s assume the real death rate is really 1% (assuming other countries are missing some too)

Let’s assume we’ve undercounted deaths a little and say 32.

So that is 3200 approx cases out of 320 million

That’s 0.001% based on those guesses. But down worry in month will go up to about 0.1% if we do nothing effective and seasonality doesn’t save us.

Swags (scientific wild ass gueeses)

We did go from 1st world to 3rd world leadership.

1 Like

What’s the half life on orange foundation?

1 Like

I also think most of the citizens in the developing world are more intelligent than the average american.

1 Like

Isn’t that what we were told a week ago? And then somehow everyone still has to get approval from the CDC and/or some state health authority (who in red states is actively working against them) to run a single test?

Can doctors just start going rogue now and ordering their own tests w/o approval? Is Trump going to arrest them?

The big negative about being able to live a relatively comfortable life compared to the world–everyone gets dumber/lazier.

1 Like

I don’t believe we have a lot of tests just sitting around as it is intentionally

The way this can exponentially spread is insane as there aren’t near enough hospital beds or respiratory treatment kits available. But I did read something about it reaching a saturation point, which I didn’t’ fully understand. I think had something to do with the fact that there will come a time where everyone who can be exposed will be and those who have survived will be immune? Could be way wrong on that, but I think it’s expected to happen around mid-May or June

If everyone is exposed by mid-May or June we are going to be living out a real world zombie apocalypse. (Those of us that are still living, anyway.)

The phrase I heard was not saturation, but rather that a new virus could “burn” through a non-immune population.

It would be better if they did. From what I’ve read, the biggest problem is that this virus isn’t strong enough to kill quickly. It’s a-symptomatic for roughly 2 weeks leaving those who have it a lot of time to infect others without realizing it. Whereas, if it killed in a matter of days, it would much easier to contain

https://twitter.com/BernardHarcourt/status/1236792210781331456

3 Likes

LC went live Thursday and QD today. Not clear to me if ARUP is in on this mukbang although they are more of hospital lab service I believe? Hobbes would know more about that. Here’s who can order it according to LC:

Q: Who can order LabCorp’s 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), NAA test?

A: The test can be ordered only by physicians or other authorized health care providers anywhere in the U.S.

Individuals seeking testing for COVID-19 should consult with their physician or healthcare provider, who may order the test if they determine the individual meets testing criteria. Self-ordered testing for COVID-19 is not available.

Not available at PSC, no self-orders, and no CPT code in catalog (says to call client services). 3-4 days turnaround.

All of the entities providing testing must receive clearance with an EUA from the FDA. So far they have only updated their website to include the two early ones approved which include the CDC and NY State Dept of Health.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/emergency-situations-medical-devices/emergency-use-authorizations#covid19ivd

NYC urging people to stop using the subways: https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-coronavirus-subway-ridership-mta-20200309-3tv3j6pyh5adzk55bvptrydzv4-story.html

We have to be days away from shit getting real in NYC.

It’s not clear how contagious a person who isn’t coughing or sneezing is though. Might take making out with them or something.

Coughing brings up massively infected sputum from the lungs.