Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Yeah. Pretty sure I got it while flying back from the US (or during my layover/flight from London) given the time when symptoms appeared. It was weird that it came with a bunch of cold symptoms. Maybe I had both a cold and pink eye at the same time.

So yeah not coronavirus but I’d feel invincible if it was.

206 cases from 21,666 people tested in the UK (cases include imports)

~30 cases in London so unlikely the layover

200 cases in US from <1,000 tests

Does not compute

As for how long the virus can live on surfaces before cleaning…

“Something such as a metal surface, it’s not really great for a virus to survive, so that will go away quickly,” said Dr. Stallkamp.

But he says with something more porous such as dollar bills or clothing, viruses can last longer - even several hours.

I dunno

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1236324247477387265

What’s with the toilet paper? Too damn weird.

There are other types of paper out there.

https://twitter.com/bigthink/status/1235587280204595208

9 Likes

Others have said the exact opposite. This doctor also claims pets can’t get it, but we know a dog in Singapore or South Korea or somewhere tested positive. Forget the location but it definitely happened.

1 Like

Depends on the criteria for getting tested.

editing away another joke because my daughter might see it — worlds collided

6 Likes

Everything is coming up Milhouse

6 Likes

or you have kits to test with
or tests that work
or want to test

ROW using WHO test kits but US didn’t want those

3 Likes

I always wondered why I rarely get sick

2 Likes

I thought you meant the ratio of positives. If it’s the low number of tests in the US, eh, I guess it’s because Trump is an idiot.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/what-went-wrong-with-the-coronavirus-tests/2020/03/07/915f5dea-5d82-11ea-b29b-9db42f7803a7_story.html

Interviews with a dozen laboratory experts and government health officials reveal a six-week-long series of glitches, missed opportunities and delays that contributed to the shortage.

“They’ve simply lost time they can’t make up. You can’t get back six weeks of blindness,” said Jeremy Konyndyk, who oversaw the international response to Ebola during the Obama administration and is a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development. “To the extent that there’s someone to blame here, the blame is on poor, chaotic management from the White House and failure to acknowledge the big picture.”

The problems started in early February, at a CDC laboratory in Atlanta.

A technical manufacturing problem, along with an initial decision to test only a narrow set of people and delays in expanding testing to other labs, gave the virus a head start to spread undetected — and helped perpetuate a false sense of security that leaves the United States dangerously behind.

3 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with much of anything you said, and I’d guess that some sort of MERS sort of pandemic at some point is going to knock off a significant part of the population - at this point I don’t think this particular Corona outbreak is going to be that event, but one of the doubtful pleasures about my previous job was that I was wrong a lot. We’ll see. But I’m going to be comfortable drawing a black line through about 80% of the Wikipedia list of pandemics because we are never ( barring some sort of complete societal breakdown) going to see a world wide event involving plague, typhoid fever, smallpox, or a couple of others on the list.

But the majority of most of your posting (which I enjoy btw) I find helpful and educational. We’re agreeing on most of this stuff - and I agree that a LOT of people are going to die, for stupid reasons involving crowds/handwashing etc. - but that patient population is where the majority of deaths will come - over 60, /immunosuppressed/ comorbidities (probably COPD/renal failure types) - which I’m not minimizing, seeing as I’m a 64 year old guy on chemo right now hoping some asshat doesn’t blow his nose on me at the gas station.

MM MD

9 Likes

This “fuck up” is on something so glaringly obvious that it strains credibility that a person with the remotest of relevant credentials could possibly just fuck it up. Furthermore, that alleged fuck up has been public knowledge for a while with absolutely zero consequences for anyone involved, in an administration that has been nothing if not historic in its turnover of powerful individuals, and one headed by a guy who rode firing people to fame and ultimately the presidency. You dodged the question about why no one was fired, but if a firing-happy president doesn’t fire someone who’s obviously fucking up and generating tons of bad press, at some point it’s only reasonable to think that it’s because that person isn’t fucking up but is instead carrying out orders in due fashion. This issue hasn’t been a blind spot for Trump. He’s tweeting about it several times a day. He’s not golfing. He’s not on some diplomatic farce gladhanding his new dictatorial best friend. So, we can’t write this one off as some CDC buffoon fucked up, and Trump is just learning about it now. We just heard from Trump what a genius he thinks he is at dealing with pandemics, so it further strains credibility that Trump hasn’t had anything to say about the strategy of handling this.

At this point, it’s quite reasonable to suspect that there may have been a deliberate strategy in place to not test people so as to avoid showing pandemic numbers. To so conclusively declare that this is definitively a fuck up that was not the result of a deliberate strategy from Trump based entirely on the fact that there is not yet in public an email dictating that testing preparations be halted is silly.

12 Likes

I was going to make the same point about others saying the exact opposite. What a shit show this is.

1 Like

The “it’s just the flu” takes are bad both because all signs point to this being much worse that the flu, and the flu itself is bad enough. The “best guess estimate” from the AHA was planning for about half a million deaths from COVID-19. To put things in perspective, here are current leading causes of death.

Close, but homeopathy uses opposites, so I can turn one small piece of fecal mattter into two million gallons of homeopathic hand sanitizer.

2 Likes

Yeah like beyond the CDC fuck up our government turned down WHO kits. They don’t want to test.

2 Likes