Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I think it’s going to be like China except without as effective a quarantine. Hospitals will be overwhelmed. Many social services that can’t shut down because they are essential are going to shut down. Like we are handling this at least as badly as China did when this first started. Sticking our heads in the sand refusing to test people and pretending it’s not happenning. I don’t think you can compare us to even a place like Italy because we are handling it way worse. Iran and China are the best analogs.

Which China? The one including Wuhan or the one without it?

Not touching your face is impossible. Keep tissues by you at all times. Train yourself to use a tissue to scratch your face.

Who gutted their department and put sycophants at the helm?

Edit

I see you don’t really care you are just plato t Gotcha with one dumb point

You win. Trump didn’t send an email saying “don’t work on corona virus”

That’s why I said 2-5 generations.

We can’t sleep on the bacterial infections. Multiple antibiotic resistant strains are more and more common.

The point that experience significant events that the lifetime expectancy is some significant number (5%?) is orders of magnitude worse than space rocks likelihood.

Its great we can fight back with vaccines and modern medicine.

SARS, MERS, 19– thats 3 times this family of viruses has popped up this century.

From a public health standpoint, should we just take the minimal wise precautions for now? Wash our hands. Mind personal space. Don’t touch our faces.

Where is the line where we strongly respond as a society or government intervention? Especially when it comes to large public gatherings? Broad testing? Once it becomes obvious it is way too late.

Sorry if you think this is chicken little sh1t.

Trump is ultimately responsible for the CDC’s fuck up with the tests. Obviously. But it was a fuck up, not a deliberate strategy.

What does this even mean?

It was deliberate strategy to not believe in science nor any agency whose mandate is based on it.

It was deliberate strategy to cut all agencies that do any good for non-Americans aka non-white people.

It was deliberate strategy to remove all department heads who had ever met Obama.

It was deliberate strategy to cut everything so more money could be funnelled info tax cuts for the rich, the military and stopping brown people from coming to America.

It was deliberate strategy to stop agencies from talking to each other without clearing it through Pence.

It was deliberate strategy to suggest sick people on a ship should be left to die so as not to alter national stats.

It was deliberate strategy to fight funding to the 11th hour even after every global agency and every other effected country were acting with purpose and haste.

Did trump literally tell someone to not test people? Sure you are right we don’t have direct evidence of that YET. He almost certainly has, of course. But I concede in this completely meaningless point you are, however briefly, correct.

4 Likes

Keed is right that it’s probably not a deliberate top down conspiracy. Keed is wrong that Trump doesn’t own this (if he’s even arguing against that?). Good enough? K

Except, of course I think Trump owns this fuck up. But so does the leadership at CDC. It’s not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

9 Likes

FWIW you quoted me but that wasn’t my post in the quotes. I agree but I don’t think it’ll be Wuhan levels of bad, I think it’ll be more like Italy. I think our infrastructure to start with has to be ahead of Iran and that has to help, and doctors know how to treat the symptoms from the start, unlike Wuhan. But I think numerous cities will be overwhelmed, and I think it could get very ugly in terms of trying to fly patients to other hospitals and the political uproar. Like do people in Portland, Oregon or San Francisco want their hospitals giving all the beds to people from Seattle once they know they’re going to be there for 3-6 weeks on oxygen and coronavirus will be there soon and people there won’t have beds? Can mayors block that from happening? I have no idea.

People are going to die from lack of access to medical facilities and the question is which people in which places. The answer is going to be fought over in various ways.

Is Trump’s position clear that he wants to minimize the number of confirmed cases reported in the US?

Yes.

Will that impact the actions his administration takes, including the CDC?

Yes.

Not a conspiracy.

6 Likes

“15 cases going in a couple of days to zero” or whatever the line was at the first presser better be pounded home in attack ads all summer.

The quarterback always get blamed for the loss.

Whether Trump is to blame or not is irrelevant. He’ll be blamed for this inadequate response anyway. He’s the leader and ultimately he’s the one who tells people what to do. His intent is nothing more than self-interest. If it’s at the expense of others then so be it.

He’s the L. Ron Hubbard of politics. Everything he does will be explained away by his followers so they can continue to justify their poor decision to support him to begin with. Their own children could die from coronavirus and they’d still support him. The longer they stay with him the harder it is to get out.

Won’t happen cause “civility”.

Sorry I’m keeping the beard for now

I ain’t get rid of it. First it’s the beard and then I’m like this:

2 Likes

My grandparents traveled down from VA to visit my family this week. They are both in their 90’s and only listen to Fox News, so they provide me a good window into what effect the Fox propaganda is having. My granddad stuck out his hand to give me a handshake and I told him that I wasn’t shaking or hugging because there had been several cases announced in FL is areas where I’d recently been and I didn’t want to pass anything along. He kind-of scoffed and then said the flu is worse. I was like, that’s not my understanding, what do you mean by worse? (He was a very smart, informed guy, an engineer who served in the navy in WW2, and even at 98 he’s incredibly sharp, even though misinformed by Fox). He was like, well it’s much harder to spread than the flu. I said, that’s not what I understand to be true, we went back and forth and he wouldn’t budge. So basically Fox News-world thinks this is not as bad as the flu, still. They are going to be responsible for so many deaths.

6 Likes

Switch to the fist bump. That’s what Howie Mandel did to protect himself while not insulting people.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/channel4news/status/1235994748005085186?s=21

2 Likes