Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Florida Department of Health said Friday evening that the two patients who died were in their 70s and had traveled overseas. One of them was a man with underlying health issues in Santa Rosa County, in Florida’s Panhandle, according to the statement.

Then again it’s Florida - they could easily be lying.

Link?

Yes. Exactly. IF it comes back it can be the same, less nasty, or worse. If it comes back the same that will be plenty bad.

I would point out that deadly diseases that severely impact the plant happen with decade to 1-2 century frequency. Modern medicine has disrupted that somewhat (but on the downside rapid long distance travel). A hell of a lot more frequent than killer rocks from space or mega volcanoes.

It really is matter of when, not if. And the when is likely every 2-5 generations for the real badass bugs.

Sorry if that’s alarmist. If this isn’t it, then it’s a wake up call.

Thanks for the link. I was thinking the same thing. The more vague the details the less credible the story.

I take a bit of comfort that on that cruise ship are probably 100s of Boomer MAGA heads who just heard directly from dear leader that he’s keeping them in the petri dish indefinitely so he can keep his case #s low.

Like not even a chance for “that’s not what he meant” or “that’s from CNN - fake news”. Nope - straight from the horse’s mouth.

1 Like

Upthread there was some discussion that hospitals won’t be able to cope.
https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/03/06/hospitals-warn-they-cant-cope-if-coronavirus-outbreak-worsens-in-canada.html

Paul-Émile Cloutier, president of HealthCareCAN, the national advocate for more than 50 of the country’s top hospitals and health-care networks, said in an exclusive interview with the Star that he understands that federal officials are trying to assure Canadians that it’s all under control “but we know as experts and as people who work in the system, it’s not all under control.”

“Coronavirus is an addition to what the system is now faced with,” he said.

“And I think it’s time for us to really wake up and smell the coffee and say this is really happening and our system may not be prepared if there was a pandemic tomorrow morning.”

Most of them will be thinking “That’s a good call, strong leadership” then die comforted by the illusion that they’re martyrs for USA#1

Yeah me too. I guess it’s bc the skin is thinner there. I like hot showers in winter but the tops of my feet get a little raw. Lotion does help if you stay on top of it.

I understand it’s possible to overdo the hand washing and sanitizing but my friend in the hospital has respiratory issues so I feel like a little discomfort is a small price to pay to offer support without increasing the risk to him.

1 Like

Could they have picked a more ominous way to go about this?

Person 1: “let’s turn off the sign and throw a tarp over it”
Person 2: “no, hazmat suit and black paint. Roll the patients in under the cover of darkness”

7 Likes

I’m way too vain about my hands to over handwash/sanitise but if my frail mum was still alive I’d be addicted to doing it. I try and wash as soon as I walk in the door and keep my hands away from my face but it’s amazing how much you notice you do it when you are paying attention.

1 Like

:sob:

2 Likes

That’s a smart, proactive idea.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/sethbannon/status/1236125593290276864?s=19

1 Like

Pence said today the Grand Princess would be allowed.to dock. The passengers will be allowed off, the crew will.be quarantined.

Motherfucking shit.

Doctor treats 70 patients all last week after returning from the US. WITH SYMPTOMS!

This is less than a mile from where I live, and those 70 patients will be very close by, could have been taking the same tram to work, etc.

Ugh.

First stage of my contingency plan for this involved not seeing my 80 year old dad. Maybe I need to implement.

Doctor infects patients on monday/Tuesday. They could be out an about on the tram with me on Friday…

Ffs.

2 Likes

A cursory look at the list of epidemics since the 1600’s onward are pretty much with the exception of influenza comprised of plague, smallpox, cholera yellow fever and typhoid (HIV I suppose) - none of these would seem to be a credible threat to any of realistic episodes that litters Wikipedia - I’d entertain for measles if the Karen’s of the world stay as stupid as they are. SARS and MERS were both definitely concerning - I’m somewhat surprised that we haven’t seen a repeat or something similar before - but so far, each seemed (for whatever reason) to be a one-off for that bug. You could also argue for a never ending epidemic of malaria, I suppose - and as things get warmer the days of, say, Memphis or St. Louis in the US being a malaria region seems at least likely.

The 1918 influenza was odd - it REALLY hit young people hard, for reasons not completely clear - I’ve seen arguments that a “cytokine storm” phenomena occurred frequently which was really injurious to young people as their elders just didn’t have enough “oomph” in their immune system to trigger the catastrophic lung response - but the data and literature are all over the place, from what I can read. I’ve seen multiple variations as to what people are just what a cytokine storm is - I haven’t seen what an EXACT definition of the process is, and there are all sorts of ideas on how to treat it - which is a good sign that no one knows that the right answers are yet.

But printing a list of epidemics from the 1500’s forward and arguing that we’re going to see all this again? Doubtful. That whole list of nasties that used to kill millions either has vaccines or medical treatments that are pretty reliable, as long as you don’t spend too much time in Mali or something.Coronavirus may end up being a shitshow, but I don’t think you can extrapolate to any of the above, and I’d be skeptical about the corona virus somehow turning into the 1918 epidemic also, because if it was going to we’d be expecting a lot higher % of younger patients - although I think a lot of elderly/patients with comorbidities are going to do poorly (that’s Dr. talk for dying)

MM MD

19 Likes

If costco has stopped giving out free samples, you know the goddam terrorists have won.

4 Likes

I wish I could like this post many times. Everyone here needs to read through it at least twice. Stay grounded in reality, y’all.

1 Like

I have type 1 diabetes. Am I ded?

Eventually.

AFAIK, Type 1 DM as a stand alone issue doesn’t mean much. If you’ve had a couple of heart attacks leading to respiratory failure, or chronic renal failure/insufficiency that would be a potential issue.

MM MD