Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I talked about this outbreak with my mom the other day and she was pretty chill about it. Said something about coronavirus vs. influenza and antigens and whatnot and I wasn’t really paying attention because I was watching rugby but anyway my moms seemed to think that this wouldn’t be a thing where millions of people die. She kinda knows her shit when it comes to diseases but also she’s old so she could be totally wrong.

1 Like

I was reading a bunch of old farts on the Boglehead forum say the same thing. Basically their theory is that all the other virus threats fizzled out and were overblown so this one will too. Seemed strange to hear from a bunch of people who constantly preach that past results don’t predict future results.

1 Like

uhhh, coo be

idk how the chinese ministry of health is making their determination. post an article if you find it

I’ve seen a lot of this same attitude on reddit as well. It’s somewhat alarming how overconfident people are about this. Even health officials seem way too confident.

Same here. I chew my fingers and my nails all the time. I’ve tried to quit but it’s a nasty habit I’ve had my whole life.

I figure you can either try to avoid germs or embrace so many of them that they fight it out battle royal style in your mouth and wear each other out.

4 Likes

nobody in my department at my uni is changing their life based on this thing rn, so i’m not and you guys probably shouldn’t either

as soon as people who know more than me start wearing masks or staying home i’ll report about it here

6 Likes

Time to buy stock in whatever company make those masks.

We got a bulletin about it at work but it didn’t really say anything new or helpful. I’m guessing people are feeling a little comforted in that it doesn’t seem outrageously easy to transmit at this point, so we can be hopeful about fading a global disaster. Still seems very bad at the epicenter though.

The good thing among the stack of bad things is that the preventative measures we are being told to do is shit we should do anyway: drink water, wash your hands, don’t touch your face.

It’s like that climate change meme: “What if we create a better world for nothing?”

5 Likes

i didn’t read this article, but the lancet is the journal that published the fraudulent mmr vaccine autism paper

My mom has vivid memories of her best friend contracting polio and hobbling around in a brace, so her version of “this is all gonna be okay” could be different from what you or I might think.

I legit think it’s an interesting social science experiment to see how anti-vax bullshit correlates with doofy Boomers being too young to remember the horrorshow that was the time before mass inoculations. As far as I can tell, it’s the Boomers who rebel against vaccines and it’s the Silent Generation/Greatest Generation folks who are like, yo, you really need those shots because Rubella will fuck your shit up.

I don’t think the antivaxers is a boomer thing (more a gen-x thing I think?) but I do agree that not seeing the horror of a world without vaccines and general survivorship bias is a big contributing factor.

2 Likes

They only get the vaccine if they sign a piece a paper promising that they’ll vaccinate their children for all vaccine-available diseases now and in the future (with proof of vaccinations necessary or else severe penalties).

:slight_smile:

They probably already think this is just a giant conspiracy to sell more vaccines.

4 Likes

Can’t imagine an N95 is something I’d seriously consider. If shit gets that real, I’m going straight to the hazmat bodysuit, preferrably one done by a good style house like Kenzo or Saint Laurent. Breitling Emergency for the wrist. I’ll probably die just as easily as everyone else, but at least I’ll look good doing it.

6 Likes

The corona virus is 100nm wide, a facemask isn’t going to stop it if shit gets real.

I’m gonna meet that Corona fucker head on by charging into the nearest hospital wearing a Borat-style swimsuit singing “MUH MUH MUH MYYYYY CORONA!”. If I’m goin out, it’s on my terms.

Then I’m going to taco bell to live out the remainder of my days.

7 Likes

live mas

6 Likes

A mi me quiero Taco Bell

2 Likes

I think I had it as a kid once.

Haven’t had the shot for 20+ years. Suspected that I had the flu late last year but it was just a severe cold.