Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I will finish my second week of chemo/radiation tomorrow. Basically douse my self in hand sanitizer, pray like hell no one breathes on me, get buzzed, repeat the hand sanitizer and run out the door. Rinse and repeat for another 4 weeks.

Sigh.

MM MD

30 Likes

I am exhibiting at three medical conferences between late March and early May. The first one is in Austin at the end of the month and so far they haven’t cancelled yet. The largest conference of the three (10,000+ attendees) sent an email yesterday saying that so far they’re not cancelling but that they will offer options to present remotely.

My guess is that all three conferences will cancel in the next week or two. As the number of cases continue to grow and CDC starts rolling out more travel restrictions they’ll have no choice but to do that.

1 Like

In Seattle, I feel like the number of reported cases is wildly low. Seeing a ton of people saying they aren’t feeling well on local social media platforms/pages. Probably most of them aren’t COVID-19, but i bet some are.

I had the same problem yesterday. Good news: it was just my car overheating because the radiator fluid was low, they think most likely because my head gasket is failing and the fluid is leaking into the combustion chamber.

1 Like

It’s amazing to me how many people bring small kids to the hospital and let them play on the waiting room floor with toys that inevitably get picked up and put in their mouths.

Overheard a conversation between two nurses bringing their own kids to the hospital and the detailed speeches they gave them that didn’t do any good (don’t play on the floor, don’t touch anything, wash your hands). But at least they tried. This was before coronavirus was really in the news.

Msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/im-scared-to-lose-my-job-and-im-scared-to-die-retail-employees-describe-working-conditions-as-coronavirus-panic-heightens-nationwide/ar-BB10N4Cw?li=BBnbfcN

Hey cool, capitalism is going to kill us all

2 Likes

Bay area Costco decimated

Got a shipment of TP this morning that they are selling as fast as they can unload it.

They have the area corded off so tge forklift can work, and there is a guy handling the endless steam of people their pack.

2 Likes

down here in deep red trump country my walmart grocery is pretty stocked… there wasn’t any lysol however which makes sense because poor whites think lysol solves everything…

but bottled water-full shelves and some stacked on the floor in front
tp/paper towels- full shelves
food- no shortages

however i did notice the cashiers wearing gloves so at least some people dont believe its all a hoax.

1 Like

I think their entire goal is to test as little as possible, mis-attribute as many deaths as possible to the flu and pneumonia, then claim victory on keeping it out and mock the snowflake libs.

That’s also not coincidentally the best chance of propping up the stock market.

2 Likes

I stopped by the supermarket on Palm Beach Island, it was still pretty well-stocked with essentials. I’m weighing my timing to hoard the TP and rice so that I can make a killing selling it to people in the island once they quarantine themselves.

I’m convinced half of suburbanites don’t realize you can buy TP at places other than Costco.

2 Likes

I was at Costco yesterday in Woodland, CA and it was pretty much as usual. I was expecting mayhem.

Ffs guys. You all had a different type of cold months ago. You didn’t have covid 19.

I fear we have drifted too far from our poker and statistics/logic/bayes roots.

5 Likes

Two cases in San Fran.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fbt49e/the_who_sent_25_international_experts_to_china/

• When a cluster of several infected people occurred in China, it was most often (78-85%) caused by an infection within the family by droplets and other carriers of infection in close contact with an infected person. Transmission by fine aerosols in the air over long distances is not one of the main causes of spread. Most of the 2,055 infected hospital workers were either infected at home or in the early phase of the outbreak in Wuhan when hospital safeguards were not raised yet.
  • 5% of people who are diagnosed with Covid require artificial respiration. Another 15% need to breathe in highly concentrated oxygen - and not just for a few days. The duration from the beginning of the disease until recovery is 3 to 6 weeks on average for these severe and critical patients (compared to only 2 weeks for the mildly ill). The mass and duration of the treatments overburdened the existing health care system in Wuhan many times over. The province of Hubei, whose capital is Wuhan, had 65,596 infected persons so far. A total of 40,000 employees were sent to Hubei from other provinces to help fight the epidemic. 45 hospitals in Wuhan are caring for Covid patients, 6 of which are for patients in critical condition and 39 are caring for seriously ill patients and for infected people over the age of 65. Two makeshift hospitals with 2,600 beds were built within a short time. 80% of the infected have mild disease, ten temporary hospitals were set up in gymnasiums and exhibition halls for those.
  • China can now produce 1.6 million test kits for the novel coronavirus per week. The test delivers a result on the same day. Across the country, anyone who goes to the doctor with a fever is screened for the virus: In Guangdong province, far from Wuhan, 320,000 people have been tested, and 0.14% of those were positive for the virus.
  • The vast majority of those infected sooner or later develop symptoms. Cases of people in whom the virus has been detected and who do not have symptoms at that time are rare - and most of them fall ill in the next few days.
  • The most common symptoms are fever (88%) and dry cough (68%). Exhaustion (38%), expectoration of mucus when coughing (33%), shortness of breath (18%), sore throat (14%), headaches (14%), muscle aches (14%), chills (11%) are also common. Less frequent are nausea and vomiting (5%), stuffy nose (5%) and diarrhoea (4%). Running nose is not a symptom of Covid.

Lots of really good information here.

5 Likes

25 cases in London.

I’ve had a shortness of breath since Sunday but no other symptoms. According to that reddit post, it’s probably just allergies then.

Lots of people in cities here have low level hayfever/asthma caused by pollution and plane trees.

Yeah. It’s probably hayfever. Finally getting some sunlight and plant growth.

I have a dry cough now and I was extremely weak trying to work out yesterday. I’m starting to worry I have something.