Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I picked up some freeze-dried food at REI yesterday. They’re still running a “sale” that you get 10% off with a purchase of 8 or more. All their bulk food items were gone though. Not cheap at all, but they last 10 years and I’ll use them eventually. Also with plenty of propane and water I’m completely off the grid for a while if needed.

One thought I had is if things look like they might go really sideways I might drive to my sister’s house in the foothills outside Denver. But that assumes you can still get gas and the roads are clear. I did the math and I need about 70 gallons of gas to make it in my sucky gas guzzler FJ Cruiser. Which means I need to buy 45 gallons more gas can storage capacity. Not sure if I’m ready to go full Mad Max yet.

Most of the rice and pasta were off the shelves today mid-afternoon. Had to settle for jasmine rice :frowning:

Plenty of every other food though.

Things are looking bad, but on the bright side, The Villages is only 80 minutes from Tampa.

Trader Joe’s was out of shredded coconut and shit almost got real. Cereal and yogurt become so boring w/o it. But then I found a couple bags on the back of the shelf.

It‘s also a matter of timing. Germany is at 159 cases without a single death, so six dead over one weekend either means it‘s been around quiet a while or it‘s just bad luck that it has hit a nursing home real hard.

Unlkke say the US or Thailand (which lives on tourism) - it feels like we can actually trust Germany to report the # of cases fairly accurately. Would you agree, GermanGuy?

Even Germany will undercount the people who only have mild symptoms.

Do we have statistics on the co-morbidity of COVID-19 and the clap?

5 Likes

But probably not intentionally.

Right - but maybe not as criminally as the US is currently doing?

1 Like

It‘s not just the reporting, but also the testing. For all the cases that I‘ve heard about they try to find all the people that person has been in contact with and ask them to stay at home until they can get tested.
Obviously they will miss a few people that way, but local authorities seem to be mostly on top of it. The only problem seems to be doctors complaining about not enough protective gear etc. being in stock.

Sure, to a degree. I think Iran also lacks US capacity and infrastructure though and economically speaking its people are on average far less capable of handling shutdowns of any great length.

Fuck it I’m moving to Germany until this is over.

Sounds a lot like what South Korea is doing. Good to see competent governments getting ahead of this.

I have a feeling that as soon as Congress passes this emergency spending package for $8B or whatever to fight coronavirus, Trump is going to announce that the most important thing to do to fight coronavirus is to build the wall, and try to divert like 75% of the funds. It’ll end up before SCOTUS, and they’ll be like “It’s his executive authority and he says this is how we should fight coronavirus, so this is Constitutional.”

2 Likes

Making the prediction now that we hear stories of people deliberately infecting others and trying to infect political candidates.

i have one of these

will this actually work to prevent getting the virus ?

1 Like

Markets up big today so I assume we found a cure

The media will start taking “toxic” Bernie Bro fears literally.

2.5 billion, half of which is transferring money previously appropriated for poor people

they did 8 billion in 2009 for ebola