Coronavirus (COVID-19)

No guidance on how to screen for it. Symptoms are very similar to several more common illnesses so many can/will/have fallen through the cracks under the assumption it is something more common.

We are woefully unprepared for a major explosion of this. And it looks inevitable at this point.

It is crazy we are supposed to believe there are only 60 cases in the US when only 459 people have been tested.

2 Likes

Saying that the Trump administration made a “general decision” in this situation is woefully misunderstanding their level of incompetence and stupidity.

Yep, woefully unprepared is right. What will save this administration politically is the fact that it’s not like they had a month to prepare… Oh, wait.

Nope, what will save them is the post-truth era and blaming it on the dirty immigrants at the border. In a few months Trump will be ranting on the stump about how the Democrats made coronavirus in a lab and gave it to the immigrants to bring across the border and that’s why we need the wall and four more years.

2 Likes

Sitting at home playing Skyrim and Zelda with the kids for a couple months doesn’t sound too bad.

5 Likes

Thread. I saw this because it was retweeted by a podcast host I follow who used to be a journalist on location in the Middle East and is reasonably plugged in over there. As this guy says himself, there’s no way to confirm or deny all these reports, but the overall impression is that the thing is out of control in Iran, which seems likely to me. Australia has had two people come back from Iran and test positive in the last week, which is a hell of a coincidence unless the number of infected there is very high.

https://twitter.com/aliostad/status/1233668766124400640

I will carry on tweeting as the situation develops. I am not reporting many other pieces of information since not confirmed by multiple sources but I fear they are true.

Law and order disappearing seems hard to believe but I guess possible.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/aliostad/status/1234172688568127489

This report is from VOA Farsi, i.e. Voice of America.

Imagine if Google could use cell phone data to identify people who are most likely to have been exposed to the coronavirus. What would be the most responsible way to use this ability?

Is Farsi a VOA reporter assigned to Iran?

1 Like

New York state. You get coronavirus!

1 Like

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/amazon-halts-all-employee-travel-google-adds-new-restrictions-due-to-coronavirus/

There’s a guy I work with that is 100% remote even though he lives less than 20 minutes from the office. Dude needs to get a dog or something because each phone call with him is at least 15 minutes too long.

2 Likes

Why use the phone when you can have a pantsless video chat?

I feel like the same thing happens in the office sometimes. Some people just love to hear themselves talk, even if it’s the same thing repeatedly.

Small talk is the human version of chimpanzee grooming. It’s important.

3 Likes

Oh god the one thing I forgot to stock up on, quarantine could get ugly if I don’t grab some this week.

The people who keep saying “the flu has killed x more people than coronavirus this year” don’t understand exponential growth.

1 Like

Not sure I understand the point of Nike doing a “deep cleaning” of its facility. Wouldn’t it be just as effective to close for a week. And even if a place is completely sterilized, couldn’t it be contaminated again within minutes of reopening?