Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Looks like some cases in/around Chicago now.

We are about to have cases everywhere in two weeks…that’s expected and not exactly anything worth worrying about.

It’s going to be very predictable/depressing watching all the Trumpkins go from total hoax/stiff upper lip to complete freakout/put immigrants in camps - as soon as Dear Leader sends one tweet.

4 Likes

Everything except for nuclear war!

I can hardly imagine what the Trump response will be if/when an “immigrant” passes the virus onto some wonderful white person. Best case is that the immigrant is illegal and the white person dies. Of course, nobody can ever know for sure how a person acquires the virus, but pitchforks are standing ready.

My exact quote was that we were drawing live to a nuclear war, not that I thought it was a likely outcome. We are absolutely drawing live to a nuclear war given the situation and given our current leadership.

https://twitter.com/KYWeise/status/1233840011159588866?s=19

I’m just pulling your leg.

Or taking the piss, I think it’s called on the other side of the pond.

1 Like

You seem to be anticipating things will get far worse here than they ever got in places where the outbreak is already stabilizing. That seems unlikely to me based on available information.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/inside-trumps-frantic-attempts-to-minimize-the-coronavirus-crisis/2020/02/29/7ebc882a-5b25-11ea-9b35-def5a027d470_story.html

"And again, when you have 15 people — and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero — that’s a pretty good job we’ve done,” he said.

When Trump stepped in front of the cameras, “he had not slept for a day-and-a-half, two-and-a-half” days, as acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told a gathering of conservatives Friday morning. The president offered an account that was, by turns, misleading and sanguine.

“Well, I don’t think it’s inevitable,” Trump said, contradicting Messonnier and the health officials who spoke after him Wednesday. “It probably will, it possibly will. It could be at a very small level or it could be at a larger level. Whatever happens, we’re totally prepared.”

The evening before, the administration had unveiled a $2.5 billion spending plan to combat the virus, and both at the closed-door briefing and in a subsequent open hearing with Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, a number of Republican senators voiced a variety of concerns. They fretted about the administration’s level of preparation to date, communication failures with Capitol Hill and, in the words of Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.), the “lowball” funding request.

“I’m going to be announcing — exactly right now — that I’m going to be putting our vice president, Mike Pence, in charge,” Trump said at his Wednesday news conference. “And Mike will be working with the professionals, doctors and everybody else that’s working. The team is brilliant.”

Trump did not, however, name a single “czar,” as some previous administrations have done during health emergencies. The president decided against that option after worrying that bringing in a person from outside the administration might be seen as a failure — and wondering whether such a person would be loyal to him, according to those familiar with the debate.

Some of Pence’s own advisers wondered whether having Pence in charge was a good idea, given the messy situation and a lack of experience in his office on the topic. But, ever loyal, the vice president accepted the role assigned by Trump.

Trump only added to the uncertainty. During a meeting with African American leaders Thursday evening, the president offered a contradictory and ambiguous message about the virus.

“It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear,” Trump said. “And from our shores, we — you know, it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We’ll see what happens. Nobody really knows.”

to help calm nerves itt, i’ll link a video of our vice president, the head of the US government’s coronavirus response team, speaking on the floor of the house of representatives insisting the scientific method isn’t as credible as a book of fairy tales featuring impossible magic

5 Likes

Looks like Wuhan hit an inflection point in mid January and not to downplay the severity of their situation, society didn’t collapse in Hubei province.

1 Like

I wonder how the reaction would be in the States if there were large quarantines and citizens are told to stay in their houses. Would Americans be as obedient as the Chinese seem to be in this situation?

1 Like

You’d end up with gun toting vigilantes in pick up trucks enforcing it.

Other than completely quarantining massive cities and shutting the entire country down for a month and driving tanker trucks around spraying disinfectant everywhere and foreceably taking people with a fever from their homes and building multiple large hospitals in like a week everything was practically normal in China.

3 Likes

If i saw it in a movie I’d think it was OTT.

I have a theory that Costco people secretly love the hyper-aggressive shopping atmosphere and get kind of a rush out of it. So this is like crack version of that for them.

I feel like I didn’t say everything was perfectly normal. But they somehow avoided a complete collapse of their society.

So far.