Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Oh man we get Japanese takeout at least one a week for years now.

1 Like

Place near me is really more of a nice sit-down place. Very good. I don’t know what it’s doing out here in Ohio, but I appreciate it and I should probably support them during this crisis.

I got Japanese takeout tonight in Ohio! Very efficient curbside pickup with masks.

1 Like

They should wear kabuki masks, that would be pretty fucking sugoi.

1 Like

Jeez I got chewed out for going to the grocery store once every 2 to 3 weeks and half the forum is gallivanting around town picking up take out.

Whoever chewed you out for that is pretty dumb.

There is a radical extremist faction amongst the isolationists.

1 Like

Well now I feel bad for mentioning it, even if I was joking, because he already apologized for going overboard.

2 Likes

I think it’s a complicated moral calculus. On one hand, there’s a risk of spreading the disease, on the other had, how many people die when all of these restaurants shutter up for months? Some of these servers are barely getting by as is, and those $1,200 TrumpBucks won’t last long. Gut tells me I should try to support local businesses in these times, but I just don’t know for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah, if you’re managing to go to the grocery store less often than 0.5x/wk and that and some strolls around your neighborhood are the totality of your excursions, you are in A+ shelter in place territory. We are at 1x/wk with daily walks. We could probably manage to skip a week, but with 6 people in the household at this point, that would be pretty taxing on our reserves, and I don’t think we could go 3 weeks without shopping. So, we’re going every other week in case we have to skip a week or if shortages are such that the excursion is pretty fruitless. Bottom line, good on you that you’re able to keep it down that low.

Yeah, it’s super gray. You don’t want your demands to result in people feeling compelled to put their lives on the line, but also, your patronage is helping to keep some very needy people afloat. The real solution is a competent social safety net that we don’t have and the mass production and distribution of legit PPE for not only every health care worker but also every still-working employee no matter their role, and that can’t possibly arrive in time given real politik,.

I go out for a supply run every time I finish two 30 racks of PBR, which is a bit more frequently than I’m proud of but more than a week.

5 Likes

Walmart delivers. I consume.

3 Likes

We have only 3 in the house, so every two weeks is manageable. I went at a 3 week interval the first time, but I was in the store so much longer looking for shit that it wasn’t worth it. I’m starting to wonder if 1 x week is actually optimal since I can do it fast.

I have had to do a couple of other things in the last 6 weeks.The battery died in my wife’s car, and my car needs a head gasket, so we had to get hers fixed. I’ve also had to bring my dad stuff a couple of times. But he meets me outside and I wear a mask and keep my distance, so it’s low risk. Then about once a month I have to pick up prescriptions from the pharmacy drive thru.

My wife and daughter haven’t gone anywhere except for walks around the local area.

Yeah, anyone quibbling with any alleged proverbial specks in your eye should be dealing with the log in their own.

1 Like

This did get me to look up an absolutely killer ramen restaurant that was my #1 takeout choice in my area that I haven’t had in months, I think not since we ordered grubhub delivery when we were all dealing with hand foot and mouth disease in February. Apparently they’re still doing take out, so I’m thinking about it.

I get that it’s probably just my own hypochondria, but aren’t you guys scared of buying prepared food right now? Like would you eat takeaway Sushi right now? Or any uncooked food?

A couple days ago my mom called and said she was getting mediocre Italian/American delivered and it was much more cost effective to order 4 servings instead of 2, so did I want some? I didn’t, and her proposal didn’t make any sense either, but I said what the heck. Hadn’t seen her in almost 2 months.

Drove across town to have the woman who just ordered and ate takeout food tell her son to get off the front step so she could come out to leave the food there, then scramble back inside and have a brief conversation with me through a tiny crack between the door and frame. Then I went home and ate cold chicken parm.

My experiences with takeout food so far have not been great.

3 Likes

I was reassured by Kenji’s article considerably. And yeah, cooked food, you can zap it for a bit, and the risk on the food itself is negligible. The risk is aerosols from the person giving it to you, and the handling of the packaging. For me, I’d have the person put the food on the ground and walk away, then I go get it, and when I get home, dump the food directly onto plates/bowls without the packaging touching anything but my hands, toss the packaging, and then wash up thoroughly. Prolly nuke the food afterwards, especially if it isn’t all that hot.

Also, IPAs are great and everything, but get some better variety in your beer, bro.

Tomorrow my aunt and uncle will be driving a little under an hour to get here, accept some ribs my dad smoked, and maybe some sous vide chicken thighs, and then wave to and yell at my family from their car. Doesn’t sound too weird.

1 Like