Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I don’t like porters and stouts (yet, at least). Feel free to recommend anything else. I usually have some sours around but obviously Walmart don’t have any and I drank everything we had.

1 Like

Oof. I can’t stand sour beers and I love stouts/porters, but maybe Bell’s Larry’s Latest is worth a try if you can find it. The sour beers are very trendy these days, but it’s not my thing.

I think both are pretty trendy. Imperial stouts are really big with beer snobs these days afak. I’m always a couple years behind the trend in beers so i’m fine with my IPA obsession.

Man, if you like sour beer you are at the forefront of the Gose sour beer trend that is raging right now. I hate it, but beer snobs are into that stuff right now. And honestly I love some of the citrusy beers like Bells Two Hearted, but the sour Gose stuff I just can’t hang with.

In my defense my death row meal might be a giant bag of sour skittles.

2 Likes

Going grocery shopping once a week, try to select a couple of my favorite restaurants once or twice a week for takeout and leave them huge tips because I would be sad if they closed, don’t feel bad about it at all. Anyone yelling at you for going out once a week or whatever can eat shit

1 Like

Also gose beers are delicious and I am defintely not a beer snob, give me anything sour, salty or fruity and I’ll drink it

2 Likes

I’ve never had a sour beer. Not much of a beer drinker. When I do drink beer, I usually like witbiers and dislike IPAs. I am an adventurous eater who likes unusual tastes. A) Would I like sour beers? B) If so, what is a brand that would be easy to find?

Yeah I think you guys are insane for getting takeout but shrug. I mostly buy food that was packaged months ago and still disinfect every single inch. My fresh food consumption has gone way down, even from the grocery store.

Lots of people like them. I don’t, but thats just me and my personal taste.

Get some proper beer with live yeast.

Sour beers are, in my experience, very true to their name. None of the hoppy profile that an IPA has - just sour. I can enjoy one or two, especially on a summer afternoon, but not exactly what I’d look for if I’m spending an evening drinking with some friends. If you’re an adventurous eater/drinker you owe it to yourself to try some I think.

Unfortunately the only examples I’ve tried are some local Maryland brews that don’t get wide distribution and one from dogfish head that as I recall I didn’t really enjoy.

Fruity sours and cloudy mashes and such are all the hotness up here. Try any Canadian brand you see. I like them in the winter. My friends like them in the summer. It went IPA → saisons → fruity sours. I think it’s going to go back to lagers soon, honestly.

Saison might be something for you to try, although I’m not sure Walmart will have any. So most of this post will be for when you have a chance to get out once we’re over this fucking virus thing.

Some of the newer/American Saisons have a fair amount of flavor and aroma hops, but they will dial back on the bittering hops as compared to an IPA. And the yeast will add quite a bit of character/flavor as opposed to an IPA where the yeast is usually very clean/neutral. Some will also be fermented partially or fully with Brett. More traditional Saison won’t have as much flavor hops, but typically a good amount of aroma hops. The yeast does most of the flavoring work for the traditional style.

Depending on the yeast and fermentation method, some of them will be tart/slightly sour, some with a “barnyard” profile, some with hints of bubblegum, and there is a really nice French yeast that is peppery. You can play around to find something you like. ABV can range from as low as 3.5% up to 8% or probably more these days. Sometimes spices are used as well. It’s really a wide open style.

I prefer mine with the French Saison yeast, moderate flavor and aroma hops, and a very traditional old school ~ 4% ABV. My favorites are in the grisette style, which is hard to find unless I brew it myself. But I enjoy almost the entire range of Saisons, including the big hoppy American and Belgian ones that are popular at the moment.

1 Like

I need to upgrade my coffee game to allow more than 1 cup at a time. Anyone have a recommendation for a pour over system, grinder, and kettle. I’m rocking a cheap grinder and aeropress right now.

sour beer bros,

i remember liking this a lot

These are trying times, but keep your eyes out for German hefeweissbier/hefeweizen and some browns or ambers, imo.

You guys might enjoy this:

1 Like

Can’t wait for the breweries’ love affair with over-hopped IPAs fade and they move on to Porters and stouts. I can’t manage to choke down any of the IPAs. All of the beer joints I used to go to had 30+ IPAs and 2 stouts.

1 Like

When I started “getting into” beers last year I joined a local Facebook beer group which is less awful than it sounds.The beer nerds have moved heavily into Russian/imperial stouts this winter. I expect it will show results in a few months.