Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

You want a leave in probe or just something for quickly checking internal temp? I love the Thermapen for the latter and i believe my leave in probe setup is from the same company that makes the Thermapen.

I’d recommend having both, tbh. The thermapen is so fast that it’s indispensible.

Will one tool not do the same job?

So I need to either choose or get both?

Okay. I’ve spent some time researching.

Seems that I may need two. One for leave in on slow cooked roasts. One instant for stuff on the grill.

There seems to be a a huge price range. Is something at the top of the range worth the extra cash?

The Thermapen One is faster and more accurate than anything. It’ll let you e.g. get an accurate temperature gradient as you’re pushing it through your food. If it feels like too much of a splurge, the Thermopop is a little slower but 1/3 the price. I wouldn’t consider any instant read thermometer other than those two.

1 Like

For a leave-in thermometer, I have one from Weber that works well enough? I have no idea how much it cost, as it was a gift. I like that it has multiple probes, so that I can monitor e.g. different racks of ribs, a turkey’s breast and thigh separately, different steaks, etc., and still have a probe to monitor grill temperature. Bluetooth connectivity is surprisingly nice to have, as you can check temps from your phone without having to go outside. And make sure you can buy replacement probes. Probes tend not to last as long as you think they should, so you’ll want to be able to get replacements. I don’t think there’s a particular brand that’s heads and tails over everyone like Thermoworks is for instant thermometers, but I might be wrong there.

Maverick has great thermometers imo. I’ve had mine for almost 10 years now and I haven’t even had to replace a probe. I mostly use it for smoking on my egg but have used it in the oven as well.Most of them either have a receiver you can put in your pocket so you dont have to manually check temps or they connect via bluetooth to your phone.

The one I have is so old that they don’t have that model anymore but it is closest to the XR-30. When I say durable I have accidentally left this thing outside in the elements including rain for days before I realized it and it still worked fine. Very long battery life also.

2 Likes

Overnight cinnamon scrolls with lemon cream cheese frosting.

Worked pretty well. Was basically trying to work from memory with some help from Google for a recipe I used to do years ago.

Left the sugar out of the brioche, which in still 50 50 on
Will probably do a slightly hotter oven next time.
Will use a little less filling, there was a lot of butter in the bottom of the pan that soaked into the bottom of the scrolls.

Also. The rise was pretty weird. Super fast the first rise, which I wasn’t expecting, and then rose again while it was cooling in the fridge. The room may have been warmer than expected.

I was a little worried the dough would be depleted, so I may have put in the oven slightly too soon.

Overall 8 out of 10. Would bake again.

4 Likes

Chocolate and cherry brownies.

This is the kind of thing that is hard to mess up. Looks amazing. Tastes great.

A couple of improvements for next time.

First. I think this is something where investing in high quality ingredients would really pay off. It’s frozen cherries and standard baking chocolate buttons from the supermarket. Next time, I’ll show off with high quality chocolate, cocoa and some fresh cherries.

Second. Recipe talked about whisking the dry ingredients into the frothy egg sugar mix. Which seemed weird, but I did it anyway. I later saw that elsewhere in the recipe it mentioned folding, which would have been better.

7 out of 10. Would bake again, with the above tweaks.

2 Likes

Chocolate top flapjacks.

Flapjacks are a British thing. Kind of an oat slice/cake thing. Lots of butter, sugar and golden syrup.

Super simple recipe, but this was harder than I thought. I think getting the texture right will require a few runs. It’s basically a caramelised sugar/toffee thing, which is all time and moisture and temperature.

Mine were a little over crunchy, fell apart a a little and were very hard to get out of the baking paper. Tasted great though

8 of 10. A little one note, would not bake again.

4 Likes

In other food related news. I was today days old when I learned that limes are not really green. They are picked unripe and will turn yellow on the tree like lemons if you leave them.

Mind blown.

Discovered this while learning about calamansi (Filipino lime) which is the same.

Did you know Portobello and Button mushrooms are the same mushroom?

1 Like

I believe flapjacks are synonymous with pancakes in the states, I certainly don’t remember them being more oatsey than plain pancakes. Could be related to Johnnycakes, not sure what those are but when I’ve seen them they don’t look like pancakes.

Now I want pancakes, damnit.

Johnnycakes are basically just corn pancakes

1 Like

Look up green, yellow, and red bell peppers

They are not. See my picture. That’s a British flapjack. It is definitely not a pancake.

In Australia, at least growing up, if I said flapjack, they would mean a fat American style pancake. A pancake here traditionally meant a crepe.

1 Like

I knew this one.

I only half knew this one. Mind blown again.

I thought green were unripe and then they turned into yellow or red depending on the plant.

Sheesh. I do not have space in my brain for all this new knowledge.

1 Like

Today I made my usual instant Ramen. Shin Black with lot of vegetables. Then added a drained can of sardines at the end. Booyakasha! Protein! It was pretty good. New hack for me.

Rhubarb season.

Rhubarb and apple crumble with vanilla icecream.

10/10. no notes. Would bake again.

6 Likes