Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Well, I confess it’s been a long time since I lived there. But I’m born and raised in the Bay Area, went to school in Santa Barbara, and come back to the Bay most summers, and I have never seen it. Weird.

France is just wrong right? Can’t believe they took that. (I guessed the correct country)

I guessed the same and had the exact same thought. Looked it up and in the first paragraph of the wiki it says that origin is disputed.

1 Like

I guessed the same as you, as I figured that was common knowledge, but at least based on what’s in the wiki, it seems like the French claim may actually be stronger. But then that makes me wonder why, perhaps the reason why we associate them with Belgium so strongly:

In response to the change, French Embassy spokeswoman Nathalie Loiseau commented “It’s exactly a non-issue … we focus on the serious issues”[11] and noted that fries originated in Belgium.[12]

Why would the French Embassy concede the origin to Belgium when it’s disputed?

tbf the french do love to concede

2 Likes

My brother-in-law apparently caught some halibut, rockfish, and lingcod on his fishing/tourism excursion yesterday. I’ve been asked to try and make fish tacos but I don’t know much about fish. Any recommendations on which of those three I should use or not use for tacos? (I’d probably go with Kenji’s recipe, btw. He lists halibut and cod, so I guess I’m really asking if rockfish and lingcod should work as well as halibut or not).

caught some crab, steamed it with old bay.

2 Likes

Frying rockfish is not my preferred preparation (I’m from Maryland, so I just season with Old Bay and roast it), but it does have a similar texture to cod and halibut so it will work well in that fish taco recipe.

1 Like

Yeah all three are pretty flaky whitefish with Halibut being a bit more steaklike in filet form.

1 Like

My grocery store find of the year:

I stumbled across this in a Spanish market near me. Crushed basil in a salt water solution with preservatives. Since I Iive alone, and pretty much everything else is fridge stable, it means that I can now make pesto without having to run to the store and pay $4+ for a small package of fresh basil. The jar cost $3, and I used barely an oz of the paste.

The pesto I made from it tasted as good or better than any jarred pesto I’ve had.

Surprisingly, I can’t find it or anything similar on either Amazon or Google shopping.

2 Likes

Tried to make Jewish deli half sours using my plethora of cukes from the garden. Came out okay, I fermented them at room temp in the brine for 3 days and they definitely developed some funk. Going to try another batch in the fridge to see if I can get a less musty flavor profile.

3 Likes

Is that what jewish deli pickles are called? Half sours? I tried to buy some at a grocery store, but must’ve bought the wrong ones. The ones I love that you get a Jewish delis are those that got that fresh garlicky taste. They don’t see sour or dilly to me

I’m currently at a complete standstill on if I want to put in a gas or induction range in our new house. I’m leaning towards induction. Anyone have a strong opinion?

Gas is way better for cooking but is more expensive and has bunch of other annoying issues.

If I had unlimited money I would get gas. Induction is 85% as good with way less issues.

1 Like

As a new induction range owner, the alleged advantages of gas are massively overstated. There are only a handful of things I miss about the gas stove, and most things are much better, including time to heat things up, top end heat, everything about the oven, keeping the surface clean, how much it heats up your house, not to mention the hard-to-measure health risks of burning hydrocarbons in your home.

@Tilted I’ve got a whole thread chronicling my switch to induction over on SPE, including studies about the health risks of gas and some cooking experiments if you’d like to check it out. I’d definitely go induction.

3 Likes

I’ll search it out. Thanks for rec!

Keep in mind that as a resident of Alberta, @clovis8 is legally required to shill for the natural gas industry.

4 Likes

:leolol:

Hey I said get an induction stove! :grinning::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hey folks. Looking for recommendations for thermometers.

Just moved place. The last one the oven didn’t work so I’ve been living making the most out of a functional oven.

Looking at brisket recipes and they seem very specific on internal temperature. I’m gonna have to wing it this afternoon, but keen to try a thermometer.

Something I can use for steaks and roasts preferably, and not too expensive.