Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

The tradition lives on

7 Likes

That looks like Kenji himself did it!

What temp did you pull it at?

One problem I’m having is that when I get the oven to 550 for the sear, the process of opening the oven door and putting the roast back in causes me to lose about 50 degrees. It’s takes at least a few min to get back up to 550. So I either get a weak sear or if I leave it too long for better sear, then I get a gray band.

I follow Kenji’s recipe more or less for the roasting phase and pull at 120

I finish in a pan, although that might not be feasible with larger roasts

Other roast questions while I’m thinking about them.

Is there anything wrong with my letting the roast rest in the oven? I have a proof setting that goes up to 110. So I thought about letting it rest at 110 to keep it warmer. But I am not sure if that will affect how done it is very much. Or if it does affect it, maybe I could pull at 2ish degrees lower?

Yeah, I’ve got to do it the oven. Had a six rib roast. I guess I could divide into two 3 rib roasts and try a pan. But if I do that I get more end pieces.

Yeah. Taking the best steak in the world (arguably), looking at how the culture that created it eats it, and then going, naaah, let’s make fat steaks…

Didn’t go with the traditional Jewish meal of Chinese food on Christmas. Instead went with the traditional Jewish meal of matzoh ball soup.

10 Likes

Are those whole onions with the skin on?

I do that for stock all the time.

Whole? I’d at least split them in half.

No in half. But skin on.

Hmmm, never even considered it. Is there a lot of flavor in onion skin?

Don’t think so but it’s doesn’t hurt anything and allows you to skip peeling them.

1 Like

Apparently they add color too.

This is not necessarily cooking

but for a pretty awesome instant Thai curry, you Costco accessing people should grab a two-pack of this. Fkn great.
My wife got it, I was feeling lazy so grabbed one and threw it in w sauteed butternut squash and leftover chicken. Delicious! I just checked the ingredient list - nothing chemically named in sight.

As long as you like coconut and lime with a bit of moderate spice to it.

When I’ve tried it my broth seemed more bitter. Not super-scientific testing though.

One whole onion cut in half. Obviously it’s all removed later. And they’re rinsed off first.

my first attempt using a tamagoyaki pan, did 3 layers and messed up putting them together but i got everything rolled up at least. Probably need to beat/mix the eggs better to minimize the whites. Not a complete failure, I’ll be eating a lot of eggs in the near future.

4 Likes

Slicing steak crosswise and quick-frying it is pretty standard Asian beef preparation. However, since I’m not cooking Wagyu, I usually soak, drain and marinate the steak slices before frying them.

1 Like

Effort #2, roll has improved

2 Likes