Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

midway through this. Enjoying it so far. Some stuff are very familiar, some i’ve never heard of (eating raw liver for example).

Shot in the dark - anyone have a recipe they love that uses 1 meyer lemon (or less)?

I bought a meyer lemon bush last spring, and I picked off all the flower buds the first summer so that the (small) plant would focus on growing rather than fruiting - except for one flower. I’ve now got one beautiful, ripe meyer lemon. Lot of pressure to find the right recipe. My daughter is a vegetarian, so being a vegetarian recipe might be best.

If anyone is interested, bought it from here, looks like it’s on sale. I may buy a key lime bush from them this year.

1 Like

I would probably do something like this, sans scallops:

2 Likes

Few thoughts:

• What I would actually do if I only had one meyer lemon is juice it and make cocktails/mocktails with club soda (and optional vodka)

• I might also just make a simple “vinagrette”. Normal ratio is 3 parts oil to one part vinegar. Because meyer lemons are sweeter than standard lemons, I’d start with 2 parts oil and see how it tastes. Add salt, pepper, maybe some minced garlic. Whisk it up until well combined and serve over some grilled or roasted vegetables.

• Similar to Wookie’s idea, I would sub it in for a pasta sauce I make with lemons, capers, and garlic. Basically saute minced garlic, capers and lemon zest in butter (or olive oil). Once those start getting fragrant, add the lemon juice and maybe a quarter cup of pasta water. Let simmer for maybe a minute or two before adding in pasta that you’ve cooked in boiling water until almost done (pull it maybe a minute before you think it is ready and finish cooking in the sauce)

2 Likes

Why sans scallop. I love scallops.

From the instructions:

1 Like

Unbeknownst to Mr. Wookie - my wife is also weirdly sensitive to scallops. Could be an allergy, but no other shellfish is an issue.

Anyway, thanks all. Some good ideas!

This was a banger. My wife went for thirds. Thanks @MrWookie

Juciest lemon I’ve ever seen. Hopefully have four or even five lemons a year from now.

1 Like

Nice! I love risottos as a luxurious way to showcase delicate flavors.

1 Like

I made this last night:

It was surprisingly good. Wasn’t sure since there’s nothing in this spice wise except salt, pepper, and bay leaves. I threw in a packet of sazon as a safety measure. It’s a great weeknight meal if you find yourself without a lot of time to prep. Cut some vegetables, throw it all in a pressure cooker with some chicken, and about 45 minutes later you have dinner.

I used chicken quarters that I separated into thighs and legs, added sazon, and when it was finished I removed the chicken, let it cool, and stripped the meat off and threw it in the stew so it was easier to eat. Added a dash of vinegar to brighten things up, and I had a bowl with Yellowbird habanero hot sauce and it was excellent. Just know that it takes a lot of salt. Keep salting until it isn’t bland. Then the flavors pop.

Highly recommend for a super easy meal.

2 Likes

New York times best ice cream sandwiches

i’ve tried this a few times and was nowhere close on texture/taste.

Target and Walmart brands? Sounds like they didn’t put too much effort into this or found out that there arent that many ice cream sandwich brands.

After some experimentation I’ve concluded that making your own corn tortillas is basically an essential home cooking activitiy. Steamed storebought corn tortillas are fine, but ones that you make and eat right away after they’re cooked are like an entirely different food.

Absolutely. We started making our own a couple of months ago. I’ve found the round metal presses to make them too thick. I’ve started using a piece of cardboard on one side of the press to get them thinner and now they’re perfect.

ETA: we’ve been making this a lot with fresh tortillas

I’ll add cheese in some of them and my daughter likes just straight up cheese enchiladas so I’ll make some of those too, but the sauce that recipe makes is top notch.

2 Likes

I got a cast iron press and if you have it a good amount of pressure then the tortillas turn out nice and thin. It must have more to do with the design than the material though.

Doesn’t matter how much pressure I put on mine, it’s still too thick.

But I think it was a cheap press. I’ll probably replace it eventually, but for now the cardboard addition is working fine.

ETA: also, I’ve found that tortillas for tacos can be a bit thicker, but for tightly rolled enchiladas they need to be quite thin to not break.

1 Like

Taste is going to depend on how much soy sauce, mirin, sugar etc you use. I’m more about getting the egg part down and not too worried about all of the other ingredients currently.

Kids in the neighborhood were selling oranges to raise money for their school, so I bought a whole case. That was dumb. Now I have 100 oranges.

I made orange kosho today, which is a spicy and funky Japanese condiment usually made with yuzu. Equal parts orange zest and Serrano chiles, a tiny bit of OJ, then 10% salt. Will sit in the fridge for a month, then I’ll give to friends.

Oranges remaining: 80

Tomorrow I’m going to make candied orange peel, which will also yield an orange simple syrup. Also plan to make a big batch of jam.

I saved all the juice from the oranges I zested today, and I froze it in ice cube trays.

1 Like

you should label them premium oranges and sell them for double the price across the street from the kids.

1 Like