Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Temperature of cookie dough when going in to oven? From-fridge or frozen vs. from-mixing bowl or room temp will have an impact on results.

I saw some stuff in passing that some butter manufacturers have changed the ratio of milk fat to water or something. I think some professional bakers were bitching about it on Reddit because it was fucking up their recipes.

Here’s a thread on it about Costco and Kroger butter changing

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskBaking/s/vhlmiBeA8t

4 Likes

Interesting.

I am pretty stunned. Remade the recipe with European style butter instead of Wal-Mart butter. Every other ingredient came from the same package. It worked perfectly. Perfect spread.

I had no idea the butter could matter that much!

Thanks for the help.

7 Likes

Cool.

One of the saddest things about going to Europe as a North American is coming back and realizing that all our food is fake. I ate real butter and real yogurt in Tuscany and it ruined me.

1 Like

Bread in France is like a different thing entirely.

2 Likes

Glad my brain that somehow remembers things that aren’t important but can’t recall why I went into my office and unlocked my computer could help you out.

1 Like

Just reiterates that cooking is art but baking is science.

2 Likes

fyp

Well yeah, but you can usually recover from a fuck up in cooking, a lot harder with baking.

This thread went dead so I didn’t post this when I made it. My yearly Hanukkah pastrami:

I’ve gone to a smoke/sous vide/smoke method. Takes all the guess work out of when to pull a brisket from the smoker. It was the best one yet.

12 Likes

I’d stick that in my face hole.

Slap that on a hoagie roll with some pickles, thats heaven right there. I know most people do mustard as well, but I swear by the dry + pickles method. Get enough pickles on there and the pickle juice gives enough wetness. Alternately, a short dip in the jous before assembling.

We always make Rubens for the Hanukkah party. They go fast.

Didnt take any pictures, but wanted to share my recent steak success

I love the way Japanese and Koreans do wagyu. At the table. Super hot grill. Thin slices. Super fast

For Christmas I did this with a couple of Wagyu sirloins from the supermarket on a a hot cast iron grill. Just sliced the steak short ways into a bunch of quarter inch slices.

Big hit.

I had a leftover regular porterhouse steak. Same technique for breakfast this morning. Thought I’d give it a try, even though it wasn’t Wagyu.

Equally good. Maybe even better flavour. Mrs Rugby and I just stood over the pan eating it as soon as it was done.

I’m not sure I’m going to do steak at home any other way from now on.

1 Like

Might be a hot take but Waygu is overrated. It’s pretty good the way you describe. It’s legitimately bad the way so many places in North America do it. It’s not good as a thick steak.

1 Like

I don’t think this is a particularly hot take.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-08/is-wagyu-the-world-s-most-overrated-steak

1 Like

I am making homemade tortillas for the first time this week. Not, like, “I grow my own heirloom corn” homemade, but just hydrating masa and frying them. The first batch I kind of screwed up (didn’t press quite thin enough, was a bit too dry) and they were still approximately 100x better than corn tortillas from the store. Don’t think I’m every going back.

1 Like

Store bought corn tortillas are truly WOAT

Simplest and best tortilla recipe out there imo. Thin, low carb, gluten-free, and malleability.

I normally go with ghee or avocado oil over coconut oil.

A batch of these takes 5 minutes.