Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

No, I mean Greek vs Arab pita.

Ahhh, that too. I was just talking about the type in the picture Yuv posted.

Yeah, trying to open up the pita and fill the pocket can be a total pain in the ass.

2 Likes

Some people are just spoiled with great pita. Like when I go to the excellent restaurant near me that makes great pitas, they bring them out freshly baked and if you cut one or tear one they just turn into a pocket instantly because they’re good and fresh. If I buy the sad desicated pitas from the grocery store and heat them up, they can be stuffed but they tear easily and are a fuss to work with.

I agree. I was just trying to be first with the obvious PITA joke

2 Likes

We can solve the i/p conflict by showing white people spread stuff ON it and murder them all in unifying rage

Maybe you could just describe it.

For me it is standard to take a pita wedge and just kind of dip a pita wedge in and scoop some hummus out. Is that wrong? I’m not separating the layers.

For a larger, uncut pita I’d tear off a piece of pita and do the same.

For hummus to be shared by the table I’d use a spoon to put some hummus on my individual plate and then do one of the above.

Do I get death for this or maybe just life with the possibility of parole in 20 yrs?

I’ve made a few nog batches - one of the tequila / amontillado, and two of the brandy / bourbon / benedictine. I am a little worried that I am blending too much. My blender is old, and the lowest setting is “stir”, which is what I’m using. But, in your notes it warns to watch out for whipping the cream. Am I doing that even with keeping it on low - and I’m basically just pulsing the blender to keep it at a lower speed? Here’s some pics:

I’m willing to buy a slower blender if I have to. Maybe this is all expected.

hey cornboy that looks pretty good! a few thoughts:

—when I start adding ingredients into the blender, I’m adding them really slowly—especially the sugar. Wrt to the speed of the blender, I think your stir setting is probably great. I have a vitamix that has two modes: the lower mode is an analog dial, so when I start blending the eggs I have it dialed down almost as low as it will go, and it’s just purring. Then when I add the sugar I dial it up a little more, but again I add the sugar very slowly, like it might take a minute to trickle all the sugar from the mixing cup into the running blender.

—I keep the blender at medium-slow as I add everything else, especially the dairy

—but once it’s all in the blender, then I gradually turn the dial up to as high as it will go, which might take another thirty seconds. I just want the dairy to get evenly blended in

—and that’s when I activate vitamix mode number two, which on my machine just says, misleadlingly, “High”. My experience when I switch to High is that first, all the lights and lamposts in my city block go dim. This is the point when my blender, in its own secret mind of metal, becomes a helicopter. And if I was impatient and forgot for the third year in a row to put the lid on, or if I remembered this time to put the lid on, but forgot to focus all of my experience and pride on making it stay there, then my ceiling is an instant jackson pollock, though because of the unfortunate biological nature of the nog itself, maybe less a pollock than a peter north

—the foam you’re getting is totally normal! Looks fine to me. In that second picture what I do while it’s blending is to continually skim off that very top layer of seafoam and keep putting it back into the liquid. And later, when pouring the blender into the mason jars, I still keep stirring the foamy bits to try to dissolve them back into the drink. When I’m done, the mason jars are filled 97% with pure liquid. A little foam will always settle at the top, but you’ll be giving the jars periodic shakes while they’re aging and especially just before serving, which will be enough to amalgamate everything.

—and what I meant about whipping the cream: a completely different style of eggnog is when the cream is whisked into stiff peaks almost like a meringue. I think Alton Brown’s nog is like this. And good for Alton, professional know-it-all, but that’s not what we’re shooting for with our plague nog, which is just a traditional nog for traditional folks. And the reason I made the comment about the scrambled eggs is because my traditional blender—which is measured in horsepower and built in collaboration with nasa—can definitely generate enough friction and heat to make eggs scramble and liquids nearly boil. Which is considered bad form, here at the upper levels of the nog game. Welcome!

4 Likes

I feel like I owe you money for this response! Thanks, cheers!

2 Likes

this guy is pretty fun. @Ikioi are you familiar with him?

1 Like

Never seen/heard of him, but looks like a great job of covering Japan’s food culture. I’ll check it out!

I’ve been getting rave reviews on @EmpireMan 's egg nog. I’ve brought some to a few different parties and never had to bring any home. One party I went to last weekend where I didn’t know many people, a couple guys started calling me Nog Man. I promised I’d bring a bigger batch next Christmas. There’s always a couple people that shy away from the raw egg, but most folks are legitimately excited to try it.

My favorite is actually the Tequila and Amontillado - I’m not a big tequila guy at all, but I followed directions and bought the nuttiest amontillado I could find and I think that nuttiness comes through. My wife prefers that version, too. But I think the overall fan favorite is the Bourbon/Brandy/Benedictine. I haven’t made the rum version yet but I’m going to - my father in law loves rum and egg nog, so I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks for sharing EmpireMan. I’ll be making this each winter. Really kind of you to share all your notes.

3 Likes

I am at a total loss. I’ve made these a couple times before to great success but I’ve tried twice this week and they didn’t spread either time. They stayed thick.

Any ideas what would prevent a cookie from spreading? I followed the recipe exactly.

How much the cookies spread is usually a function of amount of butter vs amount of flour. More butter = flatter, more flour = higher.

FYI changing your type or brand of suger can also have a surprising impact in my experience. Some seem to melt faster than others. Also any cookie recipe that involves creaming sugar into butter can have different outcomes depending on how cold your butter is when you start. There’s a lot of variables.

2 Likes

Ya it’s so odd. All those variables are constant across the attempts. Only variable is brand of butter as I bought this butter at Walmart. Can’t see that being enough of a difference. I am pretty confused. lol

How to Make Cookies Spread More.

Based on what you’ve already said, it could be a difference in the butter (I wonder if the new brand has a slightly different fat % ?). Also, baking powder loses potency over time (which is something that occassionally impacts me since I don’t bake that often). It might also be a dough temperature issue depending on room, oven, and refrigerator conditions.

1 Like

Are you scraping the sides of the bowl during mixing? Even a little bit of wayward dry ingredients can be pretty detrimental to a cookie’s spreadability.

1 Like

Recipe has only baking soda which is brand new. Maybe it is the butter. Going to try a third time as I’m pissed now lol.

I did yep. So lost on the variable I am missing lol.