Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Yeah, I can’t eat this.

Need to keep the thread title relevant.

Wife found a pork chasu instant pot recipe that came out really good. I forgot to do the eggs early enough to marinate them :frowning:

4 Likes

Serious eats buffalo chicken 7 layer dip.

6 Likes

They said 8x8 pan I think if I made it again I would make it in a bigger pan so it was thinner.

I have become obsessed with cooking meat over fire. I get prepared for it. I make sure I’m hungry before I cook it.

Wife wanted tandoori lamb for V-day. Daughter doesn’t eat red meat so requested Persian chicken kabobs. So, we’re having both.

ETA:

ETA2: typing that Rogan quote, even ironically, made me feel really douchey.

8 Likes

Do you use temperature probes or can you just tell when the meat is done? I have zero sense for that, which is part of the reason why I grill so little.

Why not? Taste? Health? Ethics?

It definitely is. It took me a few seconds to place it and during that time I gave you the benefit of the doubt and just assumed you were high AF.

I use an instant read thermometer. Though I can get by without it based on time/feel.

Taste.

This is why I like sous vide.

My wife ordered a trial box of meal kits from Hello Fresh, and so far it just seems like cooking to me. Maybe it’s because we already get our groceries delivered, but I fail to see the major innovation here.

I think the biggest distinction is they mostly package up just the amount of product you will use for that dish. It depends on how often and what you cook, but I did see the benefit in getting the exact amount of spices for a particular dish. I used to get in the bad habit of buying a spice for a specific dish, using it once or twice, and then just kinda forgetting about the jar. I eventually learned that I was better off streamlining my cupboard, using the stuff I have on hand, and not adding new spices/sauces into the rotation unless I had some idea of future use cases. I also think for some people who might not be the best cooks, having included recipes with instructions and pictures is easier than having to come up with your own menus.

Is that value alone worth it? Ultimately, it was not for me, but I could see how it would be for some people.

I think the ideal consumer for Hello Fresh is the busy person that doesn’t know how to cook, at least that was my impression when I had a subscription. The recipes were easy to follow and didn’t require any extra “work” to find a recipe online but were pretty basic. It was convenient to get exactly all the ingredients I needed but I’d generally prefer grocery delivery. If you already know the differences between chiffonade and chop it probably isn’t as valuable.

My daughter and her boyfriend had a subscription meal service for a while, but she told me that it was never enough food, so they ended up having cereal and milk later in the evening.

They’ve cancelled the service, but she said that it did introduce them to some meals that she now has in the cooking rotation.

My wife and I do some Hello Fresh occasionally. I am a fine cooking all of our meals so there is no value there in terms of helping with a skills gap, but there is value to us in terms of not playing the “what should we have for dinner tonight/this week?” game. Also, if you are a fatty, it forces you to not cook 4x what you should and then eat it as leftovers the next day. And as the good Doctor above said, we have a couple things that we’ve put into our rotation (modified), so that’s something.

All in all, can’t say that it is a value or great service or great quality or anything of the sort, but has some modest benefits in some spots imo.

They basically market themselves to investors as a grocery store. Their hook is that they have far less waste than a traditional grocery store, which is supposed to translate into greater profit.

It’s like the home cooking version of the McDLT.

Last meal of the trial kit was a winner.

The spices and sauce that came with the kit made the beef really flavorful, although my presentation could use a little work.

I basically agree with what everyone else has said. We aren’t continuing the service, but I will probably add this recipe to the rotation.

https://twitter.com/BornAKang/status/1627909936008122371

6 Likes

Lol by the end its no longer Chili

“Texas people invented it?”

Lol @ chili toast

Edit: oh it’s a baked potato; that makes a little more sense than toast

can’t forget the kimchi!