Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Meanwhile, Texas is rioting because of the beans…

No, it’s better.

It’s so tilting to me whenever I order a burger, fish sandwich, chicken sandwich, hot dog, etc somewhere and it is served on a cold bun. Really? How are you running a restaurant and not realizing this colossal mistake?

I actually had that happen today. It was a place that I go to regularly and it has never happened before. Mildly annoying.

Interestingly, the place (different from above) where I get my default reuben sandwich will serve it on cold bread, but they will lightly toast (or more) on request. That makes a huge difference. It’s a great sandwich on the room temp bread, but the light toasting takes it up to GOAT status (for reasons of temp and structural integrity).

This is very relevant to me right now. I never knew about the sugar crystalizing under the skin. I thought all browns spots were bad.

1 Like

My dumpling lady has a menu.

You can buy 2 things. What’s the plan?

50 dumplings per serving? Depends on the occasion, I guess.

Are any of them soup dumplings? I can’t tell.

Are the wontons pan fried?

Xiao Long Bao are soup dumplings, bottom of third column. I think usually they’re pork?

These all come raw and frozen. 10 mins in the steam basket gets the job done.

Ahh, I missed that

If they’re in the Bao category, do you still get 50 per order? I assume everything else in that column is only 8 or 12 per order, which why they are so much cheaper.

Anyway, that’s definitely one of the two if you get 50 of them.

Uncertain? Maybe you only get 8, that’s what I think is the number associated with the third column. Might behoove me to get the fine print translated before I place an order…

With that said, I’m ordering a bag of the xiao long bao and a bag of the shrimp and pumpkin dumplings.

If you only get 8 XLB for $36, that’s some bullshit.

Shrimp and pumpkin seems like a solid #2.

Is this bullshit, or am I supposed to pay top dollar for cattle to get fed carrots?

Possibly not BS. I used to raise grass fed (fresh green pasture grass) beef, and the meat was WAY tastier than grain fed/ feedlot beef, like orders of magnitude better. I could see an all vegetable diet making even better meat, potentially.

Friends took me to Bobo’s in okc once for fried chicken. I was super excited until I found it was all covered I’m honey.

Bobo’s was definitely an experience but I cannot get with honey or maple syrup on fried chicken.

Oklahoma has some amazing food spots though and onion burgers are legit.

I feel your pain. It’s disgusting. Getting excited about some good fried chicken only to find it drenched in maple syrup would give me a sad.

Grass fed beef is usually more flavorful, but it’s much leaner. It’s only rarely that I’ve had beef as good as my grandfather’s, who started them in the pasture and then finished them on corn to fatten them up. That’s #1 in my book, but most of the time you’re picking between factory farms or grass fed (only).

I’m skeptical of the carrot beef. The moisture claim is pure bullshit. Cows can drink water. It’s very, very unlikely that these cows’ muscle tissues have more vitamin B12 than others. That’s a tightly regulated molecule. If the cows are getting that much more B12, then it’s much more likely that their urine carries the surplus rather than their muscles, and if you nevertheless are eating an excess of B12 via these cows, then your urine will carry that excess, too. Beta-carotine isn’t even functional in mammals until it’s metabolized into vitamin A, a molecule which actually can hang out in fat and muscles, but it’s toxic in high quantities (which is usually only relevant if you’re eating large amounts of liver).

On the other hand, what’s interesting about their claim is the higher sugar content in carrots vs. grass, so it’s likely these cows are fatter than grass fed cows, and that they have better roaming conditions, so it’s likely these are tastier than factory farm cows, too. Bottom line, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this beef is a fattier alternative to grass fed beef that tastes great (but not for the reasons they say), but the cost of carrots vs. grass plus the marketing bullshit has me very worried this beef is north of $50/lb or something.

2 Likes

Does anyone here have experience with Halifax-style donair sauce?

Hell of a country

Does anyone have some favorite asparagus recipes to share? I am getting 2 bunches in my farmer’s co-op delivery this week and not really looking forward to it. My go to is to grill asparagus and top with a mixture of fresh toasted breadcrumbs and parmesan, it’s a nice side dish. But I don’t think I want to eat that 12 times this week.