Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

127.5! Lol

Merry Christmas to the food thread.

1 Like

Dry rub going in

5 Likes

This is a fair point.

First attempt at Yorkshire pudding was a success. Picture was taken about 30 seconds too late, they were like twice the size when they came out the oven.

5 Likes

Got a pretty significant amount of gray band this year. I think it was because I used the convection setting for the sear. Did only 7 min at 550F, but maybe that was too much. Still tasted great despite that. And while the gray band isn’t visually appealing, I think it actually tastes perfectly fine. Very juicy and flavorful. Maybe the non-gray part tastes a bit better, but t is very, very close.

Beef Tenderloin for 14. Pulled the bigger chunk at 122 so probably the smaller piece was 130 or so. Would pull at 118 if it was for just myself.

Had to rest it before the sear for an hour, didn’t affect quality at all.

Oven at my in laws wasn’t great so not a great sear on it.

Find some Grey band though I dare you.

4 Likes

My Christmas present was Kenji wok book and an actual wok so I tried simple beef and broccoli. Wok is much better then just using the cast iron.

6 Likes

About 5 hrs on the Traeger at ~245 average temperature, finished in the oven at 550 for 10 minutes.

Made an absolutely killer trio of sauces for people to pick between. Beef gravy from the beef drippings plus homemade chicken stock amped up with more veggies and beef shanks. Blended the beef marrow into the gravy, too.

Horseradish cream from fresh horseradish root.

Miso bearnaise

Mashed potatoes. Salad of mixed greens blue cheese, pears, pecans, dried cranberries, and a balsamic vinaigrette. Yorkshire puddings.

Ate so damn well yesterday.

9 Likes

Looks fantastic. Pulled at 120? My pull at 130 looked pretty close to what you’ve got. But I think the camera can be very deceptive.

Just had some leftover prime rib sandwiches today. Almost like them better than yesterday’s dinner.

Yeah, pulled at 120.

Is 245 standard for you? I did 250 because we got sidetracked and didn’t get the it in the oven as early as we wanted (I normally do 200-225), but the only difference I noticed is the ends seemed to be more done. But that could have also been due to my convection searing (as described above).

I think next year I’m gonna try 180 and just start before the presents get opened. Can increase temp if it looks like it is taking too long.

I was aiming for 250, but the Traeger isn’t super consistent. I coulda been more precise, but it seemed good enough and was cooking fast enough.

Recipe for Miso Bearnaise?

1 Like

Update; Saginaw’s at Circa does have bagels

Not sure where else to ask this question. Does the expiration date on a food or drink product only apply if it hasn’t been opened?

I’m inclined to say yes, ever since I opened a carton of chicken broth that had a “best if used by” date of several months out. After using some to cook a meal, I left it in the fridge and when I went to use it again about a month afterward (but with still plenty of time before the “best if used by” date), it was completely rancid

Now I’m contemplating a bottle of cranberry juice that’s been opened and in my fridge for what seems like forever. Yet, I just looked at the “best if used by” date and it’s supposedly still good for another 6 months! That can’t be right, can it? It seems dumb to use dates on products when it’s not specific as to what they mean. OR… Maybe I’m being dumb for not simply assuming that once juice has been opened it’s only good for a week or two?

Best by dates are usually conservative. Just go by smell (or a small taste) if you aren’t sure. It wouldn’t surprise me if refrigerated cranberry juice will keep for a long time because of its high acidity.

1 Like

It’s different if it’s opened because you’ve exposed it to the environment and started perishable processes. Does the bottle say to use within x days after opening?

1 Like

Those packages usually also have some text on them somewhere (not necessarily anywhere near the expiration date) that says to use within x days of opening. I have a can of olives that’s good until next summer according to the date on the bottom

but if I open it up I have 2 weeks to eat them all according to small print on the side

1 Like

No and I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a “use within x days after opening” label. That’s what’s so frustrating to me. I’m kind of a nit/(paranoid germaphobe?) with food and don’t really want to use my own judgment. If a product has best by date, I throw it out after that date. Period. I don’t want to guess